This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.897 / 52°53'49"N
Longitude: -1.3175 / 1°19'3"W
OS Eastings: 446007
OS Northings: 333506
OS Grid: SK460335
Mapcode National: GBR 7GS.9QX
Mapcode Global: WHDH2.QFSX
Plus Code: 9C4WVMWJ+RX
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 10 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1087960
English Heritage Legacy ID: 82188
Location: Breaston, Erewash, Derbyshire, DE72
Civil Parish: Breaston
Built-Up Area: Breaston
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Breaston St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Derby
Tagged with: Church building
SK 43 SE
PARISH OF BREASTON,
MAIN STREET (south side)
Church of St Michael
Parish church. C11, C13, C14 with C15 clerestory, restored and vestry added 1895 by Evans and Jolly. Rubble with quoins to tower, coursed squared stone and ashlar elsewhere with stone dressings and plinth to south aisle. Shallow-pitched leaded roofs hidden by plain low parapets with ridgeback copings, plus coved eaves string course. West tower, nave with northern clerestory and south aisle, lower chancel plus south vestry.
Two-stage west tower has tall first stage with shallow, narrower bell stage and broached stone spire above. West elevation has an early C18 blocked, semicircular headed doorcase with raised imposts and keystone, and immediately over is a C13 lancet. Similar lancet to north side and C20 lean-to against south side. The top of the stage has clock faces to all except south side. Above double lancet louvred bell opening to all sides. Spire has small ogee headed lucarnes to four sides.
North nave elevation has huge stepped buttress to west corner with two carved stones to top, one has two coats of arms and the name Grey inscribed on it, the other has initials and the date 1680 carved on it. To east is a two-light window with quatrefoil over cusped pointed lights and carved head label stops to hoodmould. Early C20 stone porch beyond to east has stone slab roof, plain pointed doorcase to front and two-light mullion windows to either side. Beyond again to east is a C19 three-light pointed window with cusped intersecting tracery and a three-light C13 pointed window with cusped stepped lancets and hoodmould. Between these two windows and to east end of nave are stepped buttresses. Above there are two C15 flat-headed two-light clerestory windows with cusped semicircular headed lights and incised spandrels. There are also three well preserved gargoyles at eaves level.
Chancel has a two-light flat headed cavetto moulded mullion window, similar to clerestory ones, to west with a blocked pointed window to east and two stepped buttresses beyond. East window is three-light with flowing tracery and hoodmould. South chancel elevation has a stepped buttress to east, with three-light C13 pointed window with cusped stepped lancets and carved head label stops to hoodmould, to west. Beyond to west is the 1895 vestry which has a copy of the south chancel window to east and similar window to south side. Pointed chamfered doorcase with hoodmould and stepped corner buttress to east of southern window.
Nave to west has two C13 pointed three-light windows both with hoodmoulds, one with similar lights to chancel south window and one with additional cusped ogee heads within the lancets. Each has a stepped buttress to both sides and beyond to west is a C13 blocked doorcase with nailhead decoration to inner edge and signs of the zodiac incised on the voussoirs. To west again is a two-light window similar to that in same position on north elevation flanked by stepped buttresses.
INTERIOR: has three bay arcade with double-chamfered pointed arches on octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases. Each end of the arcade is supported on corbels, that to east with carving of a girls head on it. Narrow chancel arch, the jambs and impost band of which look C11, with double-chamfered arch above. Wide double-chamfered tower arch. Chancel has two bay 1895 south arcade with double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers with moulded capitals. East end of south aisle has the original two-light C13 window still in situ, now looking into the south vestry. Roofs are all shallow pitched C19 roofs. South aisle has a pointed piscina to east end and north wall of nave has an alms cupboard.
Choir stalls, altar rails and pulpit are all of similar design in oak with pierced carving, all c1935. Nave pews are late C19, as is the carved reredos. Fine marble font with moulded circular plinth, gadrooned base, fluted tapering stem and gadrooned bowl, which is dated on the base 1720 and signed 'JW'. Carved weighted oak cover is C20.
Tower arch has an early C20 carved screen across it and the south chancel arcade has a timber screen of c1895. The sides of the nave have re-used. C17 and C18 panelling to dado height, behind the pews. The church has very few memorials, there are two brass plaques either side of the chancel arch, one commemorating the church restoration in 1895, the other the gift of three bells in 1924. The nave has a slate marble wall memorial to John Stevens who died 1884, which is signed Jackson, Nottingham and there is a similar memorial of c1882 to John Langford, also there are two modest early C20 brass plaques. There is also little stained glass, only the central light of the east window has late C19 stained glass and there is a coloured glass window to the south aisle.
Listing NGR: SK4600733506
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings