This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3795 / 53°22'46"N
Longitude: -1.9459 / 1°56'45"W
OS Eastings: 403698
OS Northings: 386959
OS Grid: SK036869
Mapcode National: GBR GYVC.J8
Mapcode Global: WHBB6.2BN2
Entry Name: Church of St Matthew
Listing Date: 21 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1088001
English Heritage Legacy ID: 82082
Location: Hayfield, High Peak, Derbyshire, SK22
District: High Peak
Civil Parish: Hayfield
Built-Up Area: Hayfield
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Hayfield St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 03 86
PARISH OF HAYFIELD
CHURCH STREET (West side)
Church of St Matthew
Church. Foundations of 1386, tower built 1793, church rebuilt 1817-1818 by Bradbury and Rangeley, tower raised 1894. Coursed, squared, gritstone with quoins. Flush gritstone dressings. Coved cornice with embattled stone parapets. Nave with galleries, integral western tower, small eastern chancel bay.
Exterior: south elevation has four steps to wide doorcase with moulded imposts and keystone. Double studded doors. To east four tripartite windows with intersecting tracery. West elevation has central, slightly advanced, five stage tower. Central semi-circular headed window with projecting keystone, imposts and sill. Also leaded lights. Similar window over. Stringcourse band at base of twin semi-circular headed bell openings with Y tracery. Over, coved stringcourse and 1894 ashlar work. Fifth stage with clock faces to all sides, surmounted by coved stringcourse and embattled parapets with finials. To either side of tower blank walls. Modern extension to north-west corner. North wall similar to south. East elevation has advanced central bay with large plain panel tracery window.
Interior: wooden galleries with fielded panels to north, south and west, supported by thin quatrefoil cast iron columns and corbels decorated by a flowerhead. Moulded pointed arch to chancel. Original box pews under north and south galleries. Area under western gallery boxed off.
Late C19 stained glass to lower nave windows and chancel. Fine wall memorial to John Hague, dated 1786, of owed white marble inscribed plaque set in yellow marble. White marble surround carved with classical motifs: Classical cornice above surmounted by bust by Bacon. Below in crypt bases and part columns of 1386 church.
Sources for dates Bulmer and Co History,Topography and Directory of Derbyshire of 1895.
Listing NGR: SK0369886959
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings