This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3067 / 53°18'24"N
Longitude: -1.9244 / 1°55'27"W
OS Eastings: 405132
OS Northings: 378865
OS Grid: SK051788
Mapcode National: GBR HZ06.5C
Mapcode Global: WHBBL.D4VV
Entry Name: Bank Hall
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1088045
English Heritage Legacy ID: 81979
Location: Chapel-en-le-Frith, High Peak, Derbyshire, SK23
District: High Peak
Civil Parish: Chapel-en-le-Frith
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Chapel-en-le-Frith St Thomas a Becket
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 07 NE TOWN OF CHAPEL-EN-LE-FRITH BANK HALL DRIVE
6/2 (South Side)
25.10.51 Bank Hall
House. Mid C19. One room of 1872-4 by WE Nesfield for Henry Renshaw of Manchester.
Rusticated ashlar and coursed squared gritstone with gritstone dressings and quoins.
Hipped slate roof with bracketed overhanging eaves. Leaded ridges and iron finials
to bay window roofs. Stone side wall and ridge stacks with moulded tops. Two
storeys. Nesfield interior - square, oak panelled, room with large canted bay window
to east. Elaborately plastered ceiling, geometric ribbing with floral insets, one
inscribed 'HCR 1872'. Four original chandeliers with cut glass bowl hung by six
chains, connected to bowl by six brass scroll brackets. To north, central Tudor-
style fire place with original geometric design tiles. Mantlepiece over, supported
by elaborate mouldingwith six small plaques, each carved with beasts or flowers.
Panelled overmantle, also carved with floral panels. Above arcaded shelf with
small centrally placed golden shells on arcade top. Coved, ribbed cornice to
ceiling, over. To west, central oak dresser set into panelling. Canted central
cupboard below with carved doors. Four drawers above. Shelving and coved section
over. Cornice has medallions, carved with flowers. All original metalwork intact.
To either side of dresser, panelled doors. Bay window has fine botanical painted
glass. Canvas panels above dado height to south and east, formerly with painted
panels by Armstrong and Caldecott. South elevation of house - central Venetian
doorcase with columns either side of double glazed doors. Voussoirs decorated
with floral motifs. Set in rusticated ashlar surround. To either side, full
height canted bay window with plain sashes on three sides. Above, continuous
stringcourse. Over door elaborate stone balcony on, fluted brackets plain
sash behind with moulded architrave. Bay windows either side, as below.
Listing NGR: SK0508978800
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings