This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4785 / 51°28'42"N
Longitude: -0.3133 / 0°18'47"W
OS Eastings: 517229
OS Northings: 176849
OS Grid: TQ172768
Mapcode National: GBR 74.HPX
Mapcode Global: VHGR2.J37F
Entry Name: The Dairy at Syon Park
Listing Date: 27 August 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1088110
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489681
Location: Hounslow, London, TW8
Electoral Ward/Division: Syon
Built-Up Area: Hounslow
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: All Saints Isleworth
Church of England Diocese: London
787/0/10137 PARK ROAD
27-AUG-02 The Dairy at Syon Park
Ornamental Dairy at Syon Park. Post 1847, by Decimus Burton for the 6th Duke of Northumberland. Yellow brick with single-pitch slate roof. Rectangular plan.
EXTERIOR: plain brick exterior, with large opening on south side, part obscured by later single storey lean-to, with wide gauged brick arch above. Physically contiguous on the east side with the Grade I listed Conservatory (q.v.).
INTERIOR: entrance from east to upper level, separated from main chamber by balustrade of veined red marble; a pair of arched niches with shelves are set into the angled walls flanking the entrance. Main chamber has a floor of encaustic Wedgwood tiles, with anthemion and meander-patterned borders; to the centre is a mask of Medusa, within a Neo-classical surround. A slate slab runs along the west wall at waist height, carried on serpentine legs of cast iron in the Louis XV style; the slab is continued on the east side, flanking the stairs. Another arched niche is set into the centre of the west wall. On the walls are four plaster reliefs, signed by J. Gott, showing Bacchic scenes of putti frolicking with goats. A moulded cornice runs around the ceiling.
HISTORY: This ornamental dairy was built as an adjunct to the celebrated Conservatory: the more functional dairy, using milk from Syon's considerable herds, stands immediately to the north. Its eclectic decoration is highly characteristic of its epoch, and it forms part of an outstanding group of mid-19th century garden structures. It has been used as an aquarium and as a store in recent times. The plaster reliefs by Joseph Gott (1786-1960) are believed to have been brought to the dairy from Stanwick Park, Yorkshire North Riding, another Percy seat. The dairy was built on the instructions of Algernon Percy, 6th Duke of Northumberland (b.1792, suc. 1847, d.1865).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings