History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Riding School of Syon Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Hounslow, Hounslow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4777 / 51°28'39"N

Longitude: -0.3142 / 0°18'51"W

OS Eastings: 517168

OS Northings: 176761

OS Grid: TQ171767

Mapcode National: GBR 74.PGH

Mapcode Global: VHGR2.H4R1

Entry Name: Former Riding School of Syon Park

Listing Date: 23 November 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1260656

English Heritage Legacy ID: 440118

Location: Hounslow, London, TW8

County: Hounslow

Electoral Ward/Division: Syon

Built-Up Area: Hounslow

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: All Saints Isleworth

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Brentford

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:

SYON PARK PARK ROAD
TQ 1776
787-/33/10007 Former riding school of
Syon Park
II

Riding School, now garden centre. c1819-1826. Built for Hugh Percy, 3rd Duke of
Northumberland (1785-1847), who succeeded in 1817. Brick. Roof of slate. The west elevation
of nine-window range, above a bare ground-floor plinth. Each bay articulated by broad
pilasters in contrasting brick and with a Diocletian window; blocked round-arched window in
north gable end. Tudor effect to parapet coping. East elevation largely obscured by a C20 shed;
faced in yellow brick and having no pilasters; battlemented section to the centre. The most
noteworthy feature is found on the side, a 28-bay iron roof of composite truss construction.
Although it is difficult to arrive at a precise date for this structure, its tentative design suggests
one early in the history of iron construction. It can be attributed with a degree of certainty
either to Charles Fowler, an advocate of all-iron roofs who was active at Syon later on, or to
Thomas Cundy I, who recased Syon House in Bath stone in the early 1820s. The school
reflects the late C18/early C19 revival of tightly controlled dressage and forms a group with the
near contemporary stable block (q.v.). Alterations at the time of conversion to a garden centre,
c1967, have obscured the north end where it joins the stable block; the floor is believed to date
to the early C20, when the riding school was used as a war hospital.


Listing NGR: TQ1716876761

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.