History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Katherine

A Grade II Listed Building in Rowsley, Derbyshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1912 / 53°11'28"N

Longitude: -1.62 / 1°37'11"W

OS Eastings: 425489

OS Northings: 366078

OS Grid: SK254660

Mapcode National: GBR 581.Z4S

Mapcode Global: WHCDG.21VW

Entry Name: Church of St Katherine

Listing Date: 19 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1088149

English Heritage Legacy ID: 81744

Location: Rowsley, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE4

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

Civil Parish: Rowsley

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Rowsley St Katherine

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Great Rowsley

Listing Text

PARISH OF ROWSLEY CHURCH LANE
SK 26 NE
5/177 (East Side)
Church of St Katherine
GV II
Parish church. 1855 by Salvin Junior, extended 1859. Neo-
Norman style. Coursed squared and rock-faced sandstone and
ashlar. Plain tile roof with decorative ridge cresting. Stone
coped gables with cross finials. Nave and north aisle with east
chapel, south porch, chancel, vestry and organ chamber.
Chamfered plinth. Gabled north aisle partly engaged with the
nave. North side of three bays, divided by pilaster buttresses
and with bracket corbels between, beneath the eaves. Each bay
has a 2-light window of round-arched lights divided by a
colonnette with scalloped capital. To the north east a gabled
vestry with plain chamfered round-arched doorway to west. The
west end of the north aisle has a plainly chamfered round-arched
window. To the east a pair of round-arched windows with
continuous hoodmould with headstops. The west wall of the nave
has two tall round-arched windows either side of a buttress
which is corbelled out above to support a gabled double bellcote
with a colonnette with cushion capital. The south side of the
nave has three windows as to the north, set in bays divided by
pilaster buttresses and with bracketed corbels. Between the
first two is a projecting gabled porch with round-arched
entrance with colonnettes and two orders of moulding to the
arch. A stepped triplet of blind round-arches in the gable.
Pair of plank doors with scrolled iron hinges. Two plainly
chamfered round-arched windows to either side of the porch. To
the east a partly engaged gabled south vestry with chimney stack
rising from the pitch of the east gable. Plain chamfered round
arched doorway to south, with studded plank door. Single
round-arched window to east, and above it a gabled wooden
bellcote on brackets. The chancel has clasping angle buttresses
and corbel brackets beneath the eaves. One plainly chamfered
round-arched window to north and south. Main east window of
three round-arched lights with moulded arches and colonnettes
with scalloped capitals. Wheel window above, the divisions like
stumpy columns. The doorway within the south porch has a
moulded round arch on colonnettes with cushion capitals.
Studded plank door with decorative iron hinges. Interior: Low
three-bay north arcade has circular piers and, semi-circular
responds. Scalloped capitals and roll-moulded round arches of
two orders. Stilted semi-circular chancel arch with semi-
circular responds and crocket capitals. Moulded arch with
chevron decoration. Two bay arcade between chancel and north
chapel. Round arches on a square pier with marble colonnettes.
Each bay sub-divided by two round arches on a marble column.
The arches with serated demi-circle motif. Plain round arches
from the north aisle into the north chapel and from the chancel
into the organ chamber. The nave roof has arched principal
trusses on stone corbels. The chancel south window has a
lowered sill and adjoining arch forming the sedilia. Tiled
sanctuary with mosaic dado to the east wall. Stone pulpit in
the nave has a square base and a superstructure with curved
projections and a marble colonnette at the angle, supporting the
lectern. Neo-Norman ashlar font with wooden cover. C19 gothic
choir stalls. Sturdy C20 communion rails. Brass eagle lectern
of c1906. In the north aisle an Anglo-Saxon cross head, dated
to the mid C9. Also in the north aisle a stone tablet inscribed
in excellent script to a charity left by Rachael Ashbourn (C18).
The north east chapel has tiled floor and a rich Dec style tomb
chest with the recumbent effigies of Lady John Manners +1859 and
her daughter. The excellently carved effigies are signed by
W Calder Marshall RA, London 1862. Chapel enclosed by wrought
iron gates and screen. Various C19 stained glass windows.


Listing NGR: SK2548966078

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.