History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade I Listed Building in Stanton by Bridge, Derbyshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.8406 / 52°50'26"N

Longitude: -1.4561 / 1°27'21"W

OS Eastings: 436735

OS Northings: 327150

OS Grid: SK367271

Mapcode National: GBR 6FV.YGX

Mapcode Global: WHDH6.LVVP

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 10 November 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1088339

English Heritage Legacy ID: 83213

Location: Stanton by Bridge, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE73

County: Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Stanton by Bridge

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Stanton-by-Bridge St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

3/227 (South Side)
10.11.67 Church of St Michael
Parish church. C11, C12, C13, partly rebuilt 1682 by Augustine
Jackson the rector, restored 1865. Rubble stone with quoins
except ashlar north aisle. Steeply pitched plain tile roofs
with crested ridge tiles, lapped stone copings to gables, ridge
crosses and gabled C19 stone bellcote to west gable. Nave with
north aisle, south porch and lower chancel. West elevation has
small semi-circular headed C12 window to centre flanked by large
C19 buttresses. Above to centre is a C19 rose window with
bellcote above. This has two Caernarvon arches to base and
similar, smaller arch over, all three with bells. Attached to
north side of nave is the C13 aisle with continuous moulded sill
band and coved eaves band. West elevation has a small trefoil
headed single light window set high up and a stepped corner
buttress with large C13 human gargoyle set diagonally above.
North elevation of aisle has blocked, low, chamfered pointed
doorcase to west and two Y-tracery pointed windows to east, also
two hopper heads dated 1865 and a central buttress. Similar
buttress to eastern corner and pointed C13 east window with
cusped intersecting C19 tracery. Plain parapets over with
moulded copings. To east the chancel has a 2-light C19
geometric tracery window with hood. Similar 3-light east window
with semi-circular headed stone plaque over dated 1682. South
elevation of chancel has similar 2-light window to that to north
side, but probably of c1682, and to west there is a low
chamfered pointed doorcase with hood. East corner of the nave
has long and short quoining, probably Cll. South nave elevation
has one 2-light and one 3-light C19 pointed windows with cusped
intersecting tracery, also a gabled C19 porch to west with
moulded doorcase. Inner door has C12 arch rebuilt on C19
nookshafts. Outer order of the arch has billet mould, centre
order has chevrons and inner order is plain. Above to centre,
is a re-set C13 coffin lid. Interior is simple with C13 three
bay north arcade of double chamfered arches on octagonal piers
with moulded capitals and bases. C12 semi-circular headed
chancel arch looks rebuilt. Roofs are all C19, with arched
brace trusses to nave and scissor trusses to chancel. Chancel
also has a C19 arcaded marble reredos, contemporary metal altar
rails and choir stalls. Nave has simple pews and octagonal
wooden pulpit on stone base of similar date and style. North
aisle has pointed C13 piscina to east end and odd stone font
with circular bowl on octagonal base to west end. West end of
nave has a c1865 organ. There are three early memorials, two
alabaster slabs re-set against the south wall of the chancel and
one tomb niche with effigy in north wall of the aisle. Both
slabs have incised figures of knight and a lady with latin
inscriptions round, that to east is to William Sacheverell who
died 1558 and that to west is to Richard Francis who died 1530.
Above is another slab from the base of a tomb chest which has
carvings of 14 kneeling sons and daughters with a shield to
centre and to each side. Effigy in north aisle is of a priest
and is c1400, also in the aisle are two re-set limestone slabs,
one to Richard Sheppard who died 1728 and the other to Thomas
Shipton who died 1711, and a C19 painted charity plaque. The
nave has a marble wall war memorial. Chancel windows all have
c1865 glass, as does the western rose window. East window of
aisle has stained glass of c1880.

Listing NGR: SK3673227152

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.