History in Structure

Church of St James

A Grade II Listed Building in Shardlow, Derbyshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.8686 / 52°52'7"N

Longitude: -1.3509 / 1°21'3"W

OS Eastings: 443792

OS Northings: 330325

OS Grid: SK437303

Mapcode National: GBR 7H4.19M

Mapcode Global: WHDH8.65Z5

Plus Code: 9C4WVJ9X+FJ

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 10 November 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1088362

English Heritage Legacy ID: 83166

ID on this website: 101088362

Location: St James's Church, Shardlow, South Derbyshire, DE72

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Shardlow and Great Wilne

Built-Up Area: Shardlow

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Shardlow and Great Wilne St James

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


2/182 (South Side)
10.11.67 Church of St James
Parish church. 1838, built by public subscription, designed by
Stevens of Derby. Ashlar with moulded plinth and shallow
pitched leaded roofs, hidden behind flush parapets with
ridgeback copings over a coved eaves cornice. Wide four bay
nave with western tower and lower short chancel. Three stage
western tower has moulded stringcourses between stages and
stepped gableted angle buttresses to western corners up to the
second stage. West elevation of tower has a moulded pointed
doorcase with returned hoodmould and panelled doors. Similar,
smaller doorcase to north side and thin lancet to south side.
Above to west there is a moulded pointed 2-light window with
cusped Y-tracery, returned hoodmould and lozenge paned metal
lights, over which is a clockface under an ogee headed returned
hoodmould with foliage finial to top. Similar elevation to
north side and a thin lancet to south. Above, the bell stage
has a 2-light louvred pointed bell opening with panel tracery
and returned hoodmould to each side and there are foliage bosses
to each corner of the stringcourse at the base of the bell
stage. The eaves stringcourse has corner gargoyles and
embattled parapets over, with ridgeback copings and corner
pilaster strips. North elevation of nave has stepped, gableted
angle buttresses to either end and four 2-light tall pointed
windows with panel tracery, returned hoodmoulds and lozenge
patterned metal lights, except eastern window which has stained
glass. Between the windows there are stepped gableted
buttresses. East wall of the nave has a low porch attached with
pointed moulded doorcase to north, similar to northern doorcase
in the tower, and an angled corner buttress. East elevation of
chancel has stepped gableted angle buttresses to either side of
a 3-light pointed panel tracery window with returned hoodmould.
Gable above has a simple ridge cross. Small vestry to south
side of the chancel has a small, cusped Y-tracery window below
four-centred arched head and returned hoodmould, to south.
South nave elevation, similar to north elevation, except all
windows have lozenge patterned metal lights. Interior has a
wide continuous moulded chancel arch and a panelled gallery to
rear of the church supported on clustered iron columns. Boarded
timber king post roof is dated 1901 by brass plaque in the
gallery. Tower has plain stone staircase up to vestry and the
gallery. Original box pews to nave have pointed bench ends with
blind Y-tracery panels, and high standing octagonal wooden
pulpit, also original, has iron balustrade with wreathed
handrail to staircase at the side and an ogee headed octagonal
tester above. To north side of chancel arch there is a lower
similar style pulpit without tester for the readers, and below
the main pulpit is the original octagonal stone font with diaper
work to the bowl and an elaborate timber canopied font cover,
dated 1903. Chancel has commandment and creed plaques to either
side of the altar with cusped tops, and cusped metal altar
rails. To each side there are pointed panelled doors into side
rooms. Memorials include three slate and white marble plaques
on south wall of the chancel, each to a member of the Eaton
family and each with carved foliage surround, all late C19.
North side of chancel has two metal plaques, one in enamelled
brass to John Eaton, who died 1897 and the other, a brass war
memorial. South side of the nave has another war memorial in
timber with carved Dec Style aedicule. East end of the north
side of nave has several more wall memorials, two with white
marble Gothick aedicules, both to the Sutton family of Shardlow
Hall and late C19. There are also two early C20 memorials one
with moulded alabaster surround and mosaiced border to Susan
Weddall, who died 1907 and the other of c1915 to Hubert Sutton,
with simple limestone plaque. In addition there are two slate
and white marble wall memorials and one brass memorial. The
brass memorial is to Zachary Smith, who died 1918 and the two
others are to E Cullen and James Clifford, who died in 1864 and
1866 respectively. The latter was a successful merchant who
lived in Broughton House. East window of north side of nave and
the east chancel window both have early C19 stained glass, that
to nave, patterned and that to chancel, figurative.

Listing NGR: SK4379230325

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.