This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8688 / 52°52'7"N
Longitude: -1.3508 / 1°21'2"W
OS Eastings: 443796
OS Northings: 330348
OS Grid: SK437303
Mapcode National: GBR 7H4.19J
Mapcode Global: WHDH8.7500
Plus Code: 9C4WVJ9X+GM
Entry Name: Shardlow War Memorial
Listing Date: 29 April 2019
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1459473
Location: Shardlow and Great Wilne, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE72
Civil Parish: Shardlow and Great Wilne
Built-Up Area: Shardlow
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
First World War memorial, 1921.
First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.
MATERIALS: Darley Dale stone.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands on the church path in the north of the churchyard of the Church of St James (Grade II). It is adjacent to the Grade II-listed gate piers and railings at the entrance to the churchyard on London Road.
The memorial consists of a lantern head with a carved Christ figure on the north face atop a moulded collar on an octagonal shaft. The foot of the shaft is chamfered with a square base tapering to an octagon at the top. This is set on an octagonal plinth with recessed sections on the north, east, south and west faces. The whole stands on an octagonal base.
The foot of the shaft bears a shield carved in relief on the north face within which are the words 1914/1918; underneath the shield the word REMEMBER is incised. The names of the First World War fallen are carved into the north-east and north-west faces of the plinth.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Shardlow as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The war memorial was unveiled on 2 April 1921 by the Reverend RL Farmer and dedicated by the Venerable Archdeacon Noakes. It was built at a cost of £325, raised by public subscription, to designs by H Quentery Farmer of Macclesfield. The work was largely undertaken by J and E Moores of Manchester, with the carving of the Christ figure and the inscriptions carried out by J Lanefan of Manchester.
Shardlow War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of the Church of St James, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.
* as an elegant lantern head memorial bearing carved decorative details.
* with the Church of St James (Grade II) and the gate piers and railings at the entrance to the churchyard (Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings