This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7608 / 51°45'38"N
Longitude: -1.8349 / 1°50'5"W
OS Eastings: 411489
OS Northings: 206914
OS Grid: SP114069
Mapcode National: GBR 3QJ.JXD
Mapcode Global: VHB2M.40TH
Entry Name: Swan Hotel
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1088416
English Heritage Legacy ID: 127250
Location: Bibury, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Bibury
Built-Up Area: Arlington
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Bibury with Winson
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
11/4 Swan Hotel
Former coaching inn, now hotel. Mid-late C18; extensive early C19
additions; c1930 enlargement. Coursed and dressed limestone;
ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof, Welsh slate to former stable
wing. Two-storey T-plan block to rear of long 2-storey front
range; stable wing to south; 2-storey with attic enlargement to
north. Front: 4-window fenestration to early C19 right part of
frontage, all 16-pane sashes with sunblind valencing except 12-pane
sashes to central canted bay window; doorway to right. Three
ridge-mounted chimneys with moulded caps. C20 block to left has 5-
window 16-pane sash fenestration, flanked on upper floor by 2 keyed
oval windows. Doorway with moulded architraves, glazed doors and
bold shell hood below right oval window. Five hipped roofed attic
dormers with small-paned casements. Parapet gable ends, part
extended with lower gable at north end. South end: mixed
mullioned fenestration to earlier building behind front range.
Long 2-storey former stables and coach house now incorporated into
hotel, with canted bay window in former coach doorway; timber
casement fenestration. Row of iron ridge vents. Interior: mostly
altered in C19. Recorded as an inn from 1672. Said to have been
used for manor courts - the village lock up (q.v.) being
immediately to north of inn. Important view-closing position upon
eastward passage through village.
(Early photographs of inn before c1930 addition in NMR and
displayed in bar area; A.R.J. Jurica, 'Bibury' in V.C.H. Glos.
vii, 1981, pp 21-44)
Listing NGR: SP1148906914
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings