History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Queen Hoo Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tewin, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8292 / 51°49'44"N

Longitude: -0.1457 / 0°8'44"W

OS Eastings: 527874

OS Northings: 216129

OS Grid: TL278161

Mapcode National: GBR J8X.CZ3

Mapcode Global: VHGPF.F993

Entry Name: Queen Hoo Hall

Listing Date: 20 October 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1089097

English Heritage Legacy ID: 356267

Location: Tewin, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, AL6

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Tewin

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Tewin

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Tewin

Listing Text

TEWIN QUEEN HOO LANE
TL 21 NE
(Southeast side)
Queen Hoo Hall
3/157
20.10.52
II*
GV
Country house. c.1570-85, probably for J. Smyth. Minor c.1800 and C20
alterations. Red brick, English bond, with black brick diapering. Cement
rendered dressings. Steeply pitched tiled roof. Traditional 3 room plan
in a rectangle with 2 full height projecting 'prospect tower' bay
windows, staircase wing to rear. 2 storeys attic and cellar. 4 window
front. Entrance in screens passage position to right of hail, plank and
muntin door, timber jambs and lintel without original porch. Hall has 6
light mullion and transom casements with lattice lights and ovolo moulded
surrounds, 1 on ground floor, 2 on first floor, a small blocked opening
with moulded brick surround on ground floor near lower end of hall.
Moulded cement rendered plinth. Diamond brick diapering on first floor.
Slight raising to swept out eaves. Projecting bay window to left or
parlour end has a later entrance with a chamfered 4 centred arched head.
First floor 6 light window as in hall, 3 light mullioned attic window.
Shaped kneelers to moulded brick gable parapet with 3 original
honeycombed finials. Bay window at lower end is similar with 6 lights on
ground floor. Left gable end has ground floor and first floor 6 light
mullion and transom windows, 2 lights in attic, black brick diapering in
gable with shaped kneelers to tumbled in brick parapet. Right gable end
has an inserted plank door, 3 lights on ground floor, first floor cross
casement, 2 lights in attic, kneelers to brick parapet. To rear staircase
wing behind screens passage and 3 large external stacks with hearths to
each room. Stair wing has two 2 light casements, a blocked opening with
a moulded brick surround and a hipped roof. Entrance in right return.
Hall stack adjoins stair wing with a tiled offset above eaves, base
tapers up to paired diagonal shafts with oversailing caps. Parlour stack
is similar with only 1 offset to right. Kitchen stack is larger with 3
diagonal shafts and is incorporated into c.1800 scullery outshut with a
catslide roof, C20 dormer. To rear of this and extending to left is 1
storey C20 outbuilding with a hipped roof. Interior: on ground and first
floor hall and parlour stone fireplaces have ovolo moulded depressed
Tudor arches, splayed at springings, moulded square heads. Stop chamfered
timber lintel to larger kitchen fireplace. Partition walls have panel
framing of large scantling, stop chamfered binding beams, staircase with
framed central newel with cupboards, transitional between solid newel
and open well, tenoned purlin roof. On first floor in room over parlour
are late C16 wall paintings, an Old Testament scene, probably Soloman
worshipping False Gods, and decorative frieze of foliage, scroll
ornamented panels and sinopia work. J. Strutt's Queenhoo Hall, a
Romance completed by Walter Scott in 1808 was set here. (East Herts
Archaeological Society Transactions, 1903, vol.2, pt.2, pl.78: VCH 1908:
RCHM 1910: Country Life, 15/3/62, p.594: Pevsner 1977: RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL2787416129

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.