This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7448 / 51°44'41"N
Longitude: -0.1274 / 0°7'38"W
OS Eastings: 529381
OS Northings: 206785
OS Grid: TL293067
Mapcode National: GBR J9X.JMM
Mapcode Global: VHGPT.RD0R
Entry Name: Epping House School
Listing Date: 11 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1089110
English Heritage Legacy ID: 356196
Location: Little Berkhamsted, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG13
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Little Berkhamsted
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Little Berkhamsted
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
LITTLE BERKHAMSTED EPPING GREEN
TL 20 NE
7/89 Epping House School
Country house, now school. C17 or C18 origins. Remodelled, raised and
extended 1820-38 for Sir W. Horne, attorney-general. Altered and
extended c.1906 for Sir B. Henderson. Brick, cement render scored to
resemble ashlar. Hipped slate roofs. Originally probably 3 bays, 2
storeys, extended to 5 bays, double depth, 3 storeys with a 4 bay 2
storey service wing. Entrance front has central half glazed doors with a
segmental fanlight, circle traceried, modified Greek Doric timber porch.
Recessed glazing bar sashes with small 6 pane sashes on 2nd storey.
Ground floor right has a large canted bay with 5 sashes, moulded cornice
to flat head. Plinth. Panelled and bracketed eaves soffit. 2 unevenly
spaced ridge stacks, right end stack. 3 bay return to left has a 2
storey canted bay towards front. Garden front, formerly probably
entrance front, has a pediment over central 3 bays with brackets and a
relief swag. First floor central key blocked 12 pane sash with flanking
9 pane sashes. Ground floor 5 window canted bay with moulded cornice to
flat head. Garden doors to left. Ridge stacks flank central bays on rear
ridge. Service wing was originally separated by a covered drive, now
blocked. To garden is a large bracketed early C20 pediment to left with
a keyed oculus. Return end has a central early C20 pediment above a
Venetian window facing onto a small courtyard enclosed by single storey
stock brick outbuildings with hipped roofs. Interior: early C19 entrance
hall and open well staircase with shaped tread ends, oval lantern,
marble fireplace mantels, largely remodelled c.1906 with ornate
plasterwork. Late C20 addition to left not of special interest. (RCHM
Typescript: G. Millington, Little Berkhamsted, 1981).
Listing NGR: TL2938106785
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings