This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7817 / 51°46'54"N
Longitude: -0.1366 / 0°8'11"W
OS Eastings: 528639
OS Northings: 210869
OS Grid: TL286108
Mapcode National: GBR J9J.893
Mapcode Global: VHGPM.LG4Z
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 24 November 1966
Last Amended: 11 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1089134
English Heritage Legacy ID: 356157
Location: Hertingfordbury, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG14
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Hertingfordbury
Built-Up Area: Letty Green
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Hertingfordbury
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
HERTINGFORDBURY CHAPEL LANE
TL 21 SE
5/51 Church of St. John the
24.11.66 Baptist (formerly listed
as Church of St. Mary
with St. John)
Parish church, built as chapel of ease. 1849-50 by G. Fowler Jones,
probably endowed by the 6th Earl Cowper of Panshanger (q.v.). Extended
1890. Brick with knapped flint facing, stone dressed. Slate roofs.
Gothic Revival Style. Originally a simple rectangle, 4 bay nave with 1
bay chancel. Extended to E by 1 bay with organ bay/vestry to N, mission
room to S and porch to W. Gabled porch to W, leaded lights in timber
frame on flint and stone base, ridge cross. 2 tall lancets in W wall
with an upper hexafoil light. End buttresses to N and S. Stone coped
gable parapet. Sanctus bellcote on ridge with cusped bell opening,
buttresses, ridge cross on gabled head. Nave walls have 4 lancets with
trefoiled heads, buttresses, original chancel bay has blocked openings.
Mission Room to S has separate roof. W gable end, pointed arched
entrance, paired lancets with hood mould, parapet with kneelers. Similar
paired lancet to E. Chancel E end has 3 trefoil headed lancets, an upper
hexafoil light, coped parapet with kneelers. Organ bay/vestry has gable
to N. 2 lancets with a hood mould, coped parapet with kneelers.
Interior: arched braced collar beam roof, later chancel bay is narrower
with a timber chancel arch on shaped brackets, chamfered arch to organ
bay and pointed arched vestry door. Panelled Gothic reredos. Ornamental
iron communion rails, timber pulpit with open Gothic panels with iron
ornament. Simple patterned glass in nave windows, figures in E window.
(The Builder, vol. VII, No.347, Sept.29, 1849: VCH 1912).
Listing NGR: TL2863910869
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings