This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8108 / 51°48'38"N
Longitude: 0.0077 / 0°0'27"E
OS Eastings: 538505
OS Northings: 214367
OS Grid: TL385143
Mapcode National: GBR KBN.GR8
Mapcode Global: VHHLZ.2RY6
Entry Name: Old Farm Cottages at Watersplace Farm South of B1004
Listing Date: 30 September 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1089150
English Heritage Legacy ID: 356100
Location: Wareside, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Wareside
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Wareside Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 31NW WARE RURAL WATERSPLACE
Old Farm Cottages
(No 1 and 2)at
South of B1004
Manor house, now 2 houses. C16 or earlier probably for Sir
Thomas Bourchier (d. 1492) or Henry Bourchier, Earl of Essex (d.
1540). S part rebuilt in later C17. S and W fronts cased in brick
in mid C19. Timber frame plastered with a steep old red tile
roofs hipped to W but gabled to E. W front and S side cased in
yellow brickwork. 2-storeys but C17 central stair rises to
former attics. The N range (No 2) is a 2-bay crosswing probably
of a former open hall extending to S. It has one large room on
each floor, and was entered from the hall by the wide arched
doorway in the S wall of its E bay, now blocked by the staircase.
It has a collar-purlin roof and a central cruciform crown-post
with 4-way arched bracing. In the later C17 the hall was
demolished and a 2-storeys and attics, 2-unit, lobby-entry
central-chimney house (No 1) was built some 3 metres to the S of,
and parallel with, the cross-wing. A dog-leg stair with sinuous
splat balusters was built in the space between, approached by a
long entrance hall from the W, later occupied by a C19 parlour
(now in No 2). The W end of the old cross-wing roof was altered
to a hipped form and a central chimney was inserted in that wing.
The C17 work has heavy chamfered cross-beams, unjowled posts, a
butt-purl in roof with tennoned rafters and some smoke-blackened
rafters reused from the old hall. Symmetrical 3-window brick W
front with central 4-panel door half-glazed, recessed sash
windows with flat arches to ground floor and 2/2 panes.
Irregular S front with similar door between a canted bay window
on right with small panes, and sash window on left set in a
rectangular wall-recess probably intended for a small
conservatory. Plastered N front has a 4-light casement window to
the NE room. Internal features include: 2 pairs of scratch-
moulded, panelled, cupboard doors with lozenge motif carved on
upper panels, on 1st floor; unusual bolection moulded wood fire
surround with a keel mould made up of symmetrical cyma-curves
linked by a small roll; 2-panel doors and H-hinges; and heavy
curved knee-braces supporting the main cross-beam of the N range,
now in cupboards flanking the central chimney. The house appears
to represent the capital messuage called Waters Place of the
manor of Waters, held of the manor of Ware, first named in the
reign of Henry VII. Sir Thomas Bourchier died seised of it in
1492. His heir Henry, Earl of Essex, retained the house when he
alienated the manor of Waters in 1505 and it became known as a
separate manor or tenement of Watersplace (VCH (1912) 390-1).
Listing NGR: TL3850514367
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings