This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7291 / 51°43'44"N
Longitude: -1.7088 / 1°42'31"W
OS Eastings: 420209
OS Northings: 203421
OS Grid: SP202034
Mapcode National: GBR 4SF.DT0
Mapcode Global: VHC04.BSHT
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 26 January 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1089198
English Heritage Legacy ID: 127465
Location: Southrop, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Southrop
Built-Up Area: Southrop
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Southrop St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SOUTHROP SOUTHROP VILLAGE
14/217 Church of St Peter
Parish church. Early C12, C13 chancel and early C14 transept.
Restored in 1852; again in 1895. Random rubble limestone with
considerable areas of herringbone work; stone slate roof. Nave
with north porch, south transept and chancel. C12 round arched
north doorway with 2 orders of roll moulding and billetted
hoodmould has tympanum with incised diaper pattern; jamb shafts
have volute capitals and moulded bases; plank and cover strip
door. Double chamfered pointed arch to parapet gabled north
porch; trefoil headed image niche above arch. Two windows to
nave on north and south sides: one on each being original C12 with
deep splays internally; others are 2-light C19 neo-Norman, that on
south wall replacing a much larger window of some earlier date.
Early English pointed south doorway with plank door. West end of
nave rebuilt at several periods; large Perpendicular 3-light
window with Rectilinear tracery has line of low-pitched gable end
above, part of moulded verge still in situ. Two small lights
above were formerly bellcote, totally engulfed in late C19
rebuilding providing new higher bellcote above. Early C14
transept has ogee tracery to south single-light; 2-light in
square-headed opening with ogee tracery on east side. Continuous
sill-level string course to C13 chancel with 2 east lancets having
small quatrefoil centrally above. Three lancets to north and
south sides of chancel, one to south with shouldered arched recess
below. Shouldered arched priest's doorway on south side.
Interior: plain and limewashed, the pure Norman line of nave being
interrupted by large round transept arch. C19 hammerbeam roof.
Plain C12 round chancel arch with carved imposts; small flanking
squints are reset. Small opening at high level above chancel arch
with quatrefoil pierced ceiling was aumbry for use with rood loft.
Chancel is well articulated by C13 splays to lancets, all with
rere-arches. Continuous sill-level string course. C19
hammerbeam chancel roof. Two piscinae on south chancel wall:
Early English pillar type and later with moulded trefoil head.
Three aumbries on north wall. Two chancel effigies are Sir Thomas
Conway and his wife Elizabeth, moved from transept in C19.
Scrolled pediment to memorial tablet on south chancel wall with
painted inscription: 'THOMAS KEBLA: SEN . GEN: DECESED ANNODMI:
1670'. Moulded mortuary recess on north wall has plain chest - no
inscriptions. Memorial to right of chancel arch with Ionic
pilasters and broken pediment to Edmond, Son of Thomas Keble, died
1654. Late C19 stone choir screen and curved pulpit front. C12
circular font is very important with well-preserved arcading and
figures in relief. Dating from c1180 it was discovered by John
Keble during his period as curate here in 1823-5. For full
description see David Verey's books. Stained glass in upper east
window by Thomas Willement, 1852. This church is important for
the extent of surviving Norman work, the font, and its link with
John Keble, one of the instigators of the Oxford Movement.
(N.M. Herbert, 'Southrop' in V.C.H. Glos. vii, 1981, pp. 129-136;
D. Verey, Cotswold Churches, 1976 and Gloucestershire: The
Listing NGR: SP2021503418
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings