This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.729 / 51°43'44"N
Longitude: -1.7097 / 1°42'35"W
OS Eastings: 420144
OS Northings: 203403
OS Grid: SP201034
Mapcode National: GBR 4SF.DLH
Mapcode Global: VHC04.9SZX
Entry Name: Cowshed at Manor Farm Approximately 30 Metres West of Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Last Amended: 22 March 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1156736
English Heritage Legacy ID: 127469
Location: Southrop, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Southrop
Built-Up Area: Southrop
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Southrop St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP 1903-2003 SOUTHROP SOUTHROP VILLAGE
1373/14/221 Cowshed at Manor Farm
approximately 30m West
23.01.1952 of Church of St Peter
Cowshed. 1844-7. Coursed rubble limestone with ashlar dressings and quoins; Welsh slate roof. Wide-span (53 feet) rectangular plan, lofted at N end. Gabled to north and south ends, stone-coped with ball finials. North facade dominated by wide central round-arched opening with similar arch, glazed above transom, to opening set one bay back within the interior. Vermiculated quoins and cow's head keystone to outer arch, with circular louvred vent set centrally in gable above. Plain surounds and bracketed sills to first-floor casements and ground-floor hit-and-miss ventilators. South gable has similar arch to window above small mucking-out doorway with timber lintel below. Mid C20 fenestration to sides. Interior has wide-span king post roof with outer struts and bracing. Plank sliding doors with inner pedestrian door from inner porch to cowshed, the porch having stairs to first-floor gallery and doorways to flanmking feed stores. Projecting eastwards from the south end of the east wall, and adjacent to a lean-to with loose boxes, is a single-storey range of pigsties with timber lintels over south-facing doors.
HISTORY: the exact original use of this distinctive and most unusual building, whether for fatstock or draught oxen, is unclear, although it clearly relates to the 'High Farming' period of English Agriculture underway from the 1840s. The farmstead belonged to Wadham College, Oxford, between 1612 and 1926. The farm comprised 311 acres in 1840, the adjacent barn dating from at least the early C18. This building was built for C Royd Smith, who bought part of the estate in 1842, lived at the Manor House and sold his rights back to Wadham College in 1857-8.
(Manor Farm, Southrop; Historical Report by Astam GBC Consultancy, Gloucester, 1999)
Listing NGR: SP2014403403
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings