This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7449 / 51°44'41"N
Longitude: -1.7935 / 1°47'36"W
OS Eastings: 414353
OS Northings: 205156
OS Grid: SP143051
Mapcode National: GBR 4S3.HCX
Mapcode Global: VHB2M.VDQP
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 26 January 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1089209
English Heritage Legacy ID: 127387
Location: Coln St. Aldwyns, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Coln St. Aldwyns
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Coln St Aldwyn St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
COLN ST ALDWYNS CHURCH ROAD
12/138 Church of St John the Baptist
Parish church. Late C12; C13 chancel and tower addition; C15
belfry and alterations; extensive 1853-1868 restoration. Random
rubble and ashlar limestone; stone slate roof. Nave with south
tower and porch; north transept, vestry and chancel. Extensively
restored late C12 round arched south doorway with 3 orders, keeled
shafts having waterleaf capitals; 2 heavily undercut inner orders
of chevrons. Hoodmould with beast head terminals. Ancient plank
door with some early ironmongery. C19 parapet gabled south porch
with Early English style pointed arch. Fragments of moulded nave
string course; C15 crenellated parapet with beast's head water
outlet. C19 restored traceried window to right of porch has small
blocked C12 window to right with carved arched head depicting a
demon pursuing a man. Reticulated tracery to west window in
crenellated gable end. Two C19 restored Decorated-traceried north
nave windows in buttressed wall. Decorated windows to north
transept with crenellated parapet. Three stage south tower.
Late C12 or early C13 base with clasping buttresses; blocked round
arched south doorway; C19 east porch canopy below earlier weather
moulding. Late C13 middle stage with 2 tall lancets to each face,
blocked on west side, hoodmould being continuous rising over
lancets. Second stage said to carry initials of John de Gamages,
abbot of Gloucester 1284-1306. Perpendicular belfry with 2-light
opening to each face with stone louvres; fine pierced parapet with
crocket corner pinnacles carrying shields on outer faces. String
course has 2 carved grotesque heads per face. Moulded length of
parapet extends to north from tower linking with small sanctus
bellcote. Plain Early English lancets to chancel, 2 to parapet
gabled east wall; Tudor arched south priest's doorway. Catslide
roof to north vestry.
Interior: dark and plain interior results from extensive C19
restoration. Wagon roof to nave and chancel; flat panelled north
transept ceiling. C19 chancel, transept and tower arches.
Chancel refurnished in memory of first Earl St. Aldwyn, died 1916
with extensive use of linenfold panelling. Other fittings mostly
C19. Of some interest is the C19 octagonal stone font with a
Greek palindrome inscribed on the base. East stained glass
windows commemorate John Keble's period as vicar here, 1782 to
1835, by Powell. Another chancel and east vestry window by Powell
and Sons, 1854-56. North nave window by Wailes of Newcastle.
Fine 2-tiered c1767 chandelier.
(A.R.J. Jurica, 'Coln St. Aldwyns; in V.C.H. Glos. vii, 1981, pp
44-55; D. Verey, Cotswold Churches 1976 and Gloucesteshire: The
Listing NGR: SP1435305156
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings