History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Guiting Power, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.9193 / 51°55'9"N

Longitude: -1.8624 / 1°51'44"W

OS Eastings: 409561

OS Northings: 224536

OS Grid: SP095245

Mapcode National: GBR 3NK.PYX

Mapcode Global: VHB1T.N1S0

Plus Code: 9C3WW49Q+P2

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 25 June 1980

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1089532

English Heritage Legacy ID: 128726

Location: Guiting Power, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Guiting Power

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Guiting Power St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Guiting Power


SP 0924
(east side)
11/88 Church of St. Michael
Anglican parish church. C12 north and south doorways, the latter
now moved from its original position; chancel late C12 mostly
rebuilt 1903. Perpendicular west tower; north transept 1820;
south transept 1844; vestry 1903. Nave, tower, north and south
transepts, ashlar. Chancel and vestry, coursed squared and
dressed limestone. Plan: nave with north and south transepts;
west tower; chancel with vestry on north. Limestone slate roof
with limestone gable coping. Nave: C12 doorway on north-west
corner with chevroned arch with billet and star ornament and jamb
shafts with voluted and scalloped capitals resting on imposts with
incised decorations. Capital of right jamb with scalloped
decoration, capital of left jamb in form of head with tongue
hanging out. Eroded stone head above doorway. 2-light, C19 window
with tracery and stopped hood on south west. Chancel: clasping
buttresses on east side. Early English priests doorway in flat-
chamfered pointed archway with roll-moulded stopped hood and C20
plank door, lower left in south wall of chancel. Single light with
trefoil head left of door. These features represent the only
remains of the C12 chancel. 2 lancets at east end and 2-light
window with Perpendicular style tracery in south wall towards
right, represent copies of the originals. Single lancet left of
latter added 1903. All lancets with hoods: Vestry with boiler
room below. 3-light window with cusped heads in east wall. 2-
light window with tracery in north wall. 2 mudstone tablets fixed
to east wall, face of left-hand stone completely eroded, right-hand
stone partially legible, no date. 3-stage tower with diagonal
buttresses and heavily moulded string towards base. Strings
between marking stages. Embattlemented parapet. Four, 2-light
bell openings with stopped hoods and limestone slate Dell louvres.
Single light with round head, carved spandrels hollow moulded
surround in wall. 3-light west window with stopped hood and
Perpendicular tracery. South transept: diagonal buttresses with
3-light east window with vesicas and hood with diamond stops.
Similar window in north wall. C12 south doorway moved from south
side of nave with C20 tympanum under an arch of 3 orders with roll
and chevron mouldings. C20 double plank door within. North
transept: diagonal buttresses; 3-light C19 window with tracery in
west wall. 5-light C19 window with tracery in nortl, wall. Both
with hoods with diamond stops.
Interior: plaster removed from transepts. Hollow moulded 4-
centred arches on moulded imposts to north and south transepts and
chancel. Similar but taller arch to west tower. Small niche
with pointed head right of C12 north doorway. 3-bay nave roof
partly C15 comprising 4 cambered ties supported on eight stone
corbels with carved faces. 2 central ties with a central carved
boss, one of a bearded man the other a Tudor rose. North transept:
pointed flat chamfered arch in north wall to organ, plank door to
vestry left of arch. Roofs of north and south transepts 1903.
Chancel: pointed C19 arch to organ in north wall; roof 1903.
Coloured and decorated tile roof. C20 wood panelling partially
covering walls. Nave fittings: C20 stone pulpit on old stone
base. Base of baby's coffin below pulpit together with headstone
and 4 other pieces of worked stone. Perpendicular octagonal font
with quatrefoil on each face of the bowl. C19 pews in nave,
chancel and transepts; royal arms of George III over south
doorway. Monuments on south wall of chancel from left to right,
two C19 white marble tablets to members of the Snell family. C19
white on grey decorative marble tablet with urn to John Walker,
'Lord of the Manor'. Brass plaque dated 1712. Wood plaque
depicting Jesus carrying cross dated 1601 on east wall behind
altar. South wall of chancel from left to right: white marble
tablet in form of sarcophagus to Mary Walker died 1825; C19 brass
plaque to members of the Stratford family. White on grey
decorative marble tablet to Lieutenant Wenman Wynnialt drowned in
Canada 1842 on south wall of nave. 3 wooden C19 plaques recording
charities on walls of tower. (David Verey, The Buildings of
England, The Cotswolds, 1979.)

Listing NGR: SP0956124536

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.