This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0012 / 52°0'4"N
Longitude: -1.7315 / 1°43'53"W
OS Eastings: 418525
OS Northings: 233670
OS Grid: SP185336
Mapcode National: GBR 4P3.F1R
Mapcode Global: VHB19.XYYS
Entry Name: Batsford Park
Listing Date: 25 August 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1089576
English Heritage Legacy ID: 128632
Location: Batsford, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL56
Civil Parish: Batsford
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Moreton-in-Marsh St David
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP 13 SE BATSFORD
4/1 Batsford Park
Manor House. 1888-92 by Sir Ernest George and Peto, for Lord Redesdale. Ashlar~ concrete tile roof with limestone gable coping and stack. Plan: main body with two wings projecting forward right and left. Stone polygonal stair turret from left wall~ 2- storey central gabled porch. Service wing set back from facade on left. Cotswold Elizabethan style. 3-storey main body; wings 3 storeys and attic. Buttresses to main body and wings. 1:8:2 windowed. All stone ovolo-moulded casements. Third floor windows to main body and left wall of right wing all 3-light windows with stilted heads. Hall on left of the main body lit by tall 2-light mullioned and transomed windows with stilted heads, similar lights in left wall of right wing. Other windows 2, 3 and 4-light with mullions and transoms. String courses above and below third floor windows of main body, another over tall windows to central hall. Decorative rainwater heads dated 1889. Gabled central porch with lion finial at apex and eroded finials at eaves. Large heraldic shield over panelled round-headed porch door in moulded surround with Tudor Rose decoration. Saddleback coping and hollow pointed finials at eaves. Numerous multi-angular stacks with moulded caps and skirtings. Bell with ogee arched metal canopy over, attached to axial stack on left wing of main body. 4-storey service wing left of similar style to main body with 1 and 2 storey outbuildings far left.
Interior: Large central hall open to first floor with stone balustrade to stairs and gallery and heraldic glass in windows: ballroom in right wing with enclosed wooden corner stairs ornate stone fireplaces in all major rooms. King Edward VII stayed here. (Building News (1899) and Country Life 1903.)
Listing NGR: SP1852533670
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings