This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8148 / 51°48'53"N
Longitude: -1.6885 / 1°41'18"W
OS Eastings: 421572
OS Northings: 212956
OS Grid: SP215129
Mapcode National: GBR 4RG.5YJ
Mapcode Global: VHBZR.PN73
Entry Name: Paper Mill Cottages
Listing Date: 28 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1090363
English Heritage Legacy ID: 130746
Location: Barrington, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, OX18
Civil Parish: Barrington
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Little Barrington St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP 21 SW
6/14 Nos 1-3 (Paper Mill Cottages)
Row of 3 cottages partially converted out of a former mill
building. C18-mid C19 (in at least 3 phases of building). Coursed
squared and dressed limestone. Stone slate roof with ashlar and
brick stacks. Some slate roofing to extensions at rear. Long
rectangular plan with former mill at the left gable end, lean-to
extensions at rear. Two-storeys and attic. No 1, at the right-
hand end of the row. Mid-late C18. Two-windowed facade lit by
large sliding sashes with glazing bars. All windows with
segmental-headed surrounds. C20 plank door lower left with a flat
stone canopy with moulded margin supported on moulded stone
brackets. No 2 (centre). Possibly the earliest building in the
row. Two 2-light wood casements with timber lintels to the first
floor. One 2-light and one 3-light casement to the ground floor
either side a C20 plank door with a small projecting stone canopy
supported on metal brackets. No 3 at the left-hand end of the row.
Probably converted for domestic use out of the former mill
building. The two left-hand bays now comprise a store. Plank
infill with single square ashlar column dividing the bays to the
first floor. Plank door and a fixed 4-light casement to the ground
floor. The first floor of the three bays to the right once matched
that of the two left-hand bays, the areas between the square ashlar
piers have now been infilled and 3-light casements inserted in the
blocking. Two 4-light casements to the ground floor. All windows
with segmental-headed surrounds. Central C20 plank door with a
single light window to the left. Two C20 fixed casements at ground
floor level within the left gable end. Blocked doorway above.
Interiors; no mill machinery remains. Interiors of cottages not
inspected. Site used for milling since the C11; the building
visible today was used as a paper mill from 1816-1846.
(V.C.H. Vol. VI, P.23).
Listing NGR: SP2157212956SP2157012942
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings