History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

School and School House

A Grade II Listed Building in Arlingham, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.7979 / 51°47'52"N

Longitude: -2.4243 / 2°25'27"W

OS Eastings: 370838

OS Northings: 211107

OS Grid: SO708111

Mapcode National: GBR FZ.XTH1

Mapcode Global: VH875.X2RL

Plus Code: 9C3VQHXG+47

Entry Name: School and School House

Listing Date: 14 November 1983

Last Amended: 9 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1090580

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132283

Location: Arlingham, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL2

County: Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Arlingham

Built-Up Area: Arlingham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Arlingham St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in


SO 71 SW
(west side)
2/25 School and School House
Former school and school house, unoccupied at time of survey
(November 1985). Built 1768 with endowment from John Yate,
recontructed 1852. Brick for school and rendered brick for school
house, concrete tile roof with gable end right to school, hipped to
house, brick stacks including large lateral stack to house on left
hand return. Single-storey school block across site with
projecting gabled rear wing to right, gabled porch right of centre,
and late C20 rear extension not of special interest. Two-storey
house forms projecting cross wing to left. School has 3 windows,
3-light wood casements with mid-level transom, under segmental
heads, porch between windows 2 and 3 with pointed arch plank door,
two small side slits and flanking buttresses. Window in gable at
back and opposite window one, as front elevation. Small lead-
covered diagonally-set bell turret on ridge of main roof behind
porch. Stone panel set high between first two windows records
endowment by Yate in 1768; below this a newer panel commemorating
bicentenary in 1968; over porch door a note of rebuilding at cost
of £355. 1. 6d in 1852, below a triangular panel with trefoil,
inscribed "Yates Charity". The brickwork (four courses making
approximately 275mm) would appear to be original, rather than
reconstructed in 1852. School house has late C20 replacement
casements, 2-light over 3-light, with rendered 2-brick course
string between, and plank door to right under thin hood on lattice
wood supports, with second plank door recessed in angle. This is
modest architecturally, but complete and a significant historical
survival in an area cut off from main routes in the county.

Listing NGR: SO7083811107

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.