History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kings Mill House

A Grade II Listed Building in Painswick, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.7789 / 51°46'44"N

Longitude: -2.2045 / 2°12'16"W

OS Eastings: 385986

OS Northings: 208935

OS Grid: SO859089

Mapcode National: GBR 1M6.FGH

Mapcode Global: VH94R.QKX4

Entry Name: Kings Mill House

Listing Date: 21 October 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1090977

English Heritage Legacy ID: 133332

Location: Painswick, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Painswick

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Painswick St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SO 80 NE
(south side)
King's Mill House
- II
Hill and Mill house. C18 and C19. Good squared and coursed limestone, stone
slate and some concrete tile roofs. A complex building of several stages, now 3
sides of an open courtyard with mill building to right, and section to left
formerly extending further to north. From entrance, courtyard side is left,
4-storey gable with 3-light broad casements, but at second floor is stone,
chamfer mullion; centre-section, which has change of floor levels incorporated,
in 3 storeys, with two 3-light, over two single light and two 2-light casements,
and a C20 plank door in moulded surround. Mill return, right has 3 storeys with
2 plain floor string courses; at second floor a 9-light casement with leading
over 4 + 4 + 2 continuous window with two heavy mullions, and at ground floor 2
single lights. To the left an elliptical opening over the former mill race and
in set-back section, a C20 entrance door. This wing has concrete tile roof
outer, west front of mill has 2 rows pigeon openings under a continuous string,
then 2, 5 and 2-light stone mullion casements to stopped hoods, over a 2-light
wood casement and large plank door; ground or semi-basement floor has large
blocked elliptical arch, 2-light and single-light casement. The right half has
plain string over ground floor. Left gable return build against high embank-
ment, has pair of C20 doors giving to roof space. Outer facade to middle
section has varied fenestration in 2 storeys, attic, and part basement including
a 5-light raking dormer, 3-light casements, two C20, sashes in surrounds with
keystone, and a C20 porch with oculus above. Three 2-light recessed chamfer
stone mullioned casements to basement include two now blocked. Gable to the
right has 3 and 4-light casements, and the return wall has the upper parts in
brickwork. Interior has been substantially modified, includes some C18 detail
and chamfered beams to run-out stops. There are no early staircases. This has
seen a major mill and house which has lost is integrity in a series of exten-
sions or alterations, but still retaining substantial historic fabric. There
was a water mill recorded here in 1495, was a cloth mill until the mid-C19, and
became a pin mill in 1870.
(Hyett, Glimpses of the History of Painswick, 1957).

Listing NGR: SO8598608935

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.