This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7041 / 51°42'14"N
Longitude: -2.1854 / 2°11'7"W
OS Eastings: 387286
OS Northings: 200616
OS Grid: SO872006
Mapcode National: GBR 1N6.0BH
Mapcode Global: VH955.2FJG
Entry Name: 17-21, Tetbury Street
Listing Date: 24 March 1988
Last Amended: 14 February 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091076
English Heritage Legacy ID: 133079
Location: Minchinhampton, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Minchinhampton
Built-Up Area: Minchinhampton
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Minchinhampton with Box
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
1374/19/286 TETBURY STREET
24-MAR-1988 MINCHINHAMPTON TOWN
(Formerly listed as:
A row of three cottages dating from the C18, with some C19 alterations.
MATERIALS: The cottages are constructed from squared and coursed limestone with limestone dressings, under Cotswold stone slate roofs, with ashlar stacks.
PLAN: The cottages form a row fronting the street, each with a different two-storey wing to the rear.
EXTERIOR: The cottages are each of two storeys and attic, and are a single bay wide. Each has a ground-floor door in a flush surround, with a two-light window with stone mullion and flush surround. There is a single similar window to the first floor of each unit, and each has a gabled dormer housing a two-light casement. To the rear, No. 21 has a two-storey gabled wing in coursed limestone rubble with brick quoins, and timber casement windows; the roof is covered in plain concrete tiles. No. 19 has a shorter wing with a pitched roof, forming a double pile; the wing is rendered, with timber casement windows and the roof is covered in reconstituted stone slates. The rear wing of No. 17 is of two storeys, with a flat roof.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: Minchinhampton was a medieval settlement developed on a simple cross plan formed by the crossing of the Tetbury to Stroud (now Tetbury Street and West End) road running east-west, and a road running north-south which linked the south of the parish with the Stroud to Cirencester road in the north. The medieval town was centred on the market place, and expanded during the C17 to include the area in which 17 to 21 Tetbury Street now stand. Land which belonged to the Rectory, in the area of Friday Street and Tetbury Street, had seven tenements built on it by 1635, 19 by 1677, and 40 by 1707. Many of the late-C16 and early-C17 houses were probably of one-and-a-half storeys such as those of evidently early date in Friday Street, but many of the C17 houses were rebuilt in the C18.
Nos. 17 to 21 Tetbury Street may have evolved from outbuildings, perhaps associated with the adjacent house at No. 23; they are of a single build and stylistically date from the C18. The footprint of all three units is consistent through the Ordnance Survey (OS) map series published between 1885 and 1923.
SOURCES: Nigel Paterson, Gloucestershire Buildings Recording Group Notes on 23 Tetbury Street, Minchinhampton (2009)
A History of the County of Gloucester (Victoria County History) Volume 11: Bisley and Longtree Hundreds (1976), 184-90
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: Nos. 17 to 21 Tetbury Street are designated at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: they are well-preserved examples of C18 town cottages which are largely unaltered
* Group value: with the adjacent house, 23 Tetbury Street, and the numerous other listed buildings to either side of Tetbury Street
Other nearby listed buildings