This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7217 / 51°43'18"N
Longitude: -2.1534 / 2°9'12"W
OS Eastings: 389496
OS Northings: 202566
OS Grid: SO894025
Mapcode National: GBR 1N1.2C0
Mapcode Global: VH94Z.MZFH
Entry Name: Chalford Grove
Listing Date: 28 June 1960
Last Amended: 24 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091190
English Heritage Legacy ID: 132850
Location: Chalford, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Chalford
Built-Up Area: Chalford
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Chalford Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 8802-8902 CHALFORD LONDON ROAD
13/56 Chalford Grove
as The Grove)
Detached house. Late C17, enlarged early and late C18, refronted
and remodelled c1820, coursed rubble limestone, stucco to front
and east side; ashlar and artificial stone rebuilt chimneys;
Welsh slate and concrete plain tile roofs. Two-storey with 2
parallel rear wings. Front: symmetrical with fenestration 2:1:2.
Pedimented centrepiece with 4 Tuscan columns to recessed ground
floor porch, outer spaces with small-pane glazing; wide round
arched doorway with large decorative fanlight, doorway with Regency
architraves and flanking glazed lights with diagonal glazing bars.
Four fluted upper floor pilasters below pediment with central oval
arched recess having 12-pane sash. Outer 12-pane sashes in plain
openings, ground floor with simple architraves. Moulded cornice
with blocking course. West side: central projecting chimney with
blocked upper floor window to right. Gable end of late C18
addition to rear wing has central projecting chimney flanked by 2-
light square-headed ground floor and pointed Gothic upper floor
casements; 2 smaller flanking single-light pointed attic
casements. Side of rear range to left has large upper floor 18-
pane sash with moulded architrave and keystone. East side: offset
doorway with fluted frieze and glazed door with marginal glazing
bars to front range. Flush front to rear wing with 3-window
fenestration, mostly 15-pane tall sashes. Central doorway with
small round arched window to left. Rear: 2 gables built against
bank, both with moulded chimneys.
Interior: double height central hall with 2-bay upper floor
colonnade of Doric columns, stick balustrade between. Two oval
arches below, one leading to curved flying staircase. Reeded
doorcases, reeding also incorporated into complex cornices in
principal rooms. Bold mouldings to hall ceiling cornice are
possibly a survival from earlier interior.
(M.A. Rudd, Historical Records of Bisley with Lypiatt, 1937; and
D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)
Listing NGR: SO8949602566
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings