This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.875 / 51°52'30"N
Longitude: -2.296 / 2°17'45"W
OS Eastings: 379720
OS Northings: 219649
OS Grid: SO797196
Mapcode National: GBR 0JL.G9Y
Mapcode Global: VH94B.542F
Entry Name: Old School and School House
Listing Date: 26 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091370
English Heritage Legacy ID: 134342
Location: Highnam, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL2
Civil Parish: Highnam
Built-Up Area: Highnam
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Highnam Holy Innocents
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
HIGHNAM HIGHNAM VILLAGE
9/51 Old School and School House
Now doctor's surgery and community hall, formerly school and school
mistress's house. 1851 by H. Woodyer for T. Gambier-Parry; later
extended. Squared, roughly coursed lias, ashlar dressings, tiled
roof. Originally 'T plan, school room single storey, house in stem
1 1/2 storey, one room deep: later single-storey schoolroom added to
infill rear angle. Entrance front faces away from road: gable to
schoolroom on right, boarded door up 3 stone steps, arched head
with hoodmould and floriate stops; angled corner buttress on
right. Two-light plate tracery window above, ovolo surround.
Chimney rises off bottom of left slope. House set back on left:
3-light mullioned window, trefoil heads in line. Open timber porch
to left, heavy timber corner posts on stone plinth, cambered tie
beam, 'V' struts over, plain barge boards. Sides open with curved
braces to wallplate, above weatherboarding within main frame, stone
plinth. Internally wooden benches each side, boarded door at rear.
Above 2-light window rising into stone dormer on right, single-
light window below eaves off-centre to right over porch, both
leaded lights, iron opening lights. Stone lean-to on left gable
not of special interest. Right return moulded string course at
window sill level: three 2-light mullion and transom windows,
circle over heads, rising into stone gables, plain barge boards.
Angled buttress each end: rendered projection in centre not of
special interest. Internally, schoolrooms form 'L', boarded
panelling to dado, painted brickwork above. Fireplace across
inside angle, corbelled arched stone head, moulded corbel restores
angle above. Trusses hidden by inserted ceilings: rise from plain
corbels. Forms group with church, village hall, old rectory and
Church Lodge, (q.v.). School said to be 1851, not 1850 as rain-
(D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970;
T.J. Fenton, A History and Guide to the Church of the Holy
Innocents, Highnam, 1985)
Listing NGR: SO7972119652
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings