This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9344 / 51°56'3"N
Longitude: -1.9775 / 1°58'38"W
OS Eastings: 401646
OS Northings: 226207
OS Grid: SP016262
Mapcode National: GBR 2LW.QVX
Mapcode Global: VHB1K.NMYZ
Entry Name: Coach House, Stables and Outbuildings Immediately North East of Corndean Hall
Listing Date: 31 October 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091544
English Heritage Legacy ID: 133927
Location: Winchcombe, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Winchcombe
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Winchcombe St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP 02 NW WINCHCOMBE CORNDEAN LANE
3/29 Coach House, Stables
east of Corndean
Coach house, stables and outbuildings. Late C19. Three buildings enclosing
a courtyard as follows:
A. Coach house. Dated TWS 1872 (Thomas Ward Swinburne). Fine limestone
ashlar, plinth, V-joint quoins, Welsh slate roof with central pediment-gable
to south; one storey and attic, loading opening with haunched lintel in
gable over segmental-headed opening, left of this plank door and arched
window, and, right large C20 garage door opening. At west end gate tripar-
tite arched with Ruskinian caps to responds, and date stone over.
B. Stables, dairy, etc. L-shaped block lying south of the coach house.
Dressed and squared limestone, plinth, V-joint quoins, slate roof. North
gable with tripartite window similar to coach house, and date stone with
'TMWS 1865'; on return facing east 3 arched openings and one door, square
turret with louvres over and a return with one arched opening and one door
continuous with two-storey long block, including 4-bay ground floor open
'shelter shed' with square pillars having caps and plinths, 3 sashes, with-
out bars, over, various doors and louvred openings. At the east end plank
door under transome light, at first floor approached by external flight
of stone stairs.
C. Outbuilding, a long low structure in fine limestone and with hipped
Welsh slate roof, including central 2-storey cross wing. Mainly one storey
with fine series of 4 slatted doors to continuous lights over, and at centre
a wide plank door.
This is an especially good group of outbuildings related to an earlier house;
the designs are treated with care and some rich detail, and at the time
of the survey were in impeccable condition.
Listing NGR: SP0164626207
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings