This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9049 / 51°54'17"N
Longitude: -1.9093 / 1°54'33"W
OS Eastings: 406334
OS Northings: 222934
OS Grid: SP063229
Mapcode National: GBR 3NP.J30
Mapcode Global: VHB1S.VDG1
Entry Name: Stables and Entrance Gates About 30m North-East of Manor House
Listing Date: 4 July 1960
Last Amended: 7 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091853
English Heritage Legacy ID: 134812
Location: Hawling, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Hawling
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Hawling St Edward
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
HAWLING HAWLING VILLAGE
SP 02 SE
9/31 Stables, and entrance gates about
30m north-east of Manor House
4.7.60 (formerly listed as Tithe Barn)
Stables, gates and gate piers. 1740 (datestone), C19, minor
alterations C20. Ashlar stone, wrought-iron, stone slate roof.
Five-unit block, one room deep, slightly-projecting wings to centre
each side, all lofted. Facade away from road: plinth, on left
double-boarded doors, concrete lintel; small window, cambered.
head, stone voussoirs; boarded stable door, flat stone lintel;
oval window to right. Slight projection to centre, 2 steps up
against left return. Boarded door in projection, stone lintel,
circular window each side. Set back to right, stable door as
left; wall beyond hidden by single-storey wing, not of special
interest. No first-floor openings; date carved on projection.
Parapet gables with cross-gablet apices each end and to centre.
Left return plinth, double, boarded door to pitch hole, cambered
head, stone lintel: oval window with moulded surround and 3 keys
over. To left curved wing wall running back to gate pier, top
plain, sweeping up against pier. Pier square, plinth, moulded
cap, steps to ball finial. Gates wrought-iron, double bottom,
centre and top rails, with decorative feature above. Pier and
wall repeated opposite back to churchyard wall. Built as stables
to Manor House (q.v.), probably of similar date to its right wing.
Has been incorrectly called tithe barn.
Listing NGR: SP0633422934
Other nearby listed buildings