This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9141 / 51°54'50"N
Longitude: -2.0451 / 2°2'42"W
OS Eastings: 396992
OS Northings: 223957
OS Grid: SO969239
Mapcode National: GBR 2LZ.ZQY
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.H4PY
Plus Code: 9C3VWX73+MX
Entry Name: Group of 13 Monuments in the Churchyard of the Church of St Mary Circa 20-28 Metres South of the South Aisle
Listing Date: 25 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091909
English Heritage Legacy ID: 134495
Location: Prestbury, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL52
Civil Parish: Prestbury
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Prestbury St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 9724 PRESTBURY MILL STREET
18/87 Group of 13 monuments
in the churchyard of the
Church of St Mary c20-28m south
of the south aisle
Group of monuments comprising a pyramidal tomb, a chest tomb and
Pyramidal tomb to --------wman, late of --------- Stanley', died
1787 and Ann wife of Nathaniel Dyer of Nailsworth, died 1796.
Green sandstone, inscription plaques red sandstone. Flat-standing
formerly with iron railing (now removed). Tomb in form of
rectangular pyramid with inscriptions on the north and south sides.
Projecting moulded hood above each inscription plaque.
Unidentified chest tomb c2m to west. Early-mid C18. Limestone.
Raised flat standing. Moulded plinth. Fielded inscription plaque
on the south side with date 1757 and partially legible inscription.
Similar but eroded inscription plaque on the north. Quarter
balusters at the corners. Narrow raised rectangular inscription
plaque at the east end with a raised margin and partially legible
inscription plaque. Eroded inscription plaque at the west end.
Capping with the moulded margin.
Pair of headstones c2m south of the former. Probably early C18.
Left-hand headstone with a segmental head, illegible inscription
plaque. Swags with ribbon ties at top either side of inscription
plaque, open bible and hour glass at top.
Headstone immediately to right with a partially legible
inscription. Single flower at centre of top flanked by scrolls.
Single headstone c2m south of the unidentified chest tomb.
Illegible inscription. Hanging fruit and flowers either side. Two
winged cherubs' heads at top.
Row of four headstones c3m to south of the latter. C18. Headstone
on north end of row with deeply carved swags and small brackets.
Cherub's head at top.
Row of four headstones all with cartouche-like inscription plaques
and almost illegible inscriptions. Headstone second from the left
with unusual foliate scrollwork.
Listing NGR: SO9699223957
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings