This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8967 / 50°53'48"N
Longitude: -1.6017 / 1°36'6"W
OS Eastings: 428105
OS Northings: 110878
OS Grid: SU281108
Mapcode National: GBR 64Y.PW0
Mapcode Global: FRA 76JQ.XGD
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 8 October 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1094732
English Heritage Legacy ID: 144405
Location: Minstead, New Forest, Hampshire, SO43
District: New Forest
Civil Parish: Minstead
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Minstead All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 21 SE MINSTEAD CHURCH LANE
4/24 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
Parish church. Early C13, 1683 porch, 1774 tower, late C18 large south
transeptual extension, early C19 north family pew room and schoolroom against
porch, and C19 vestry. Rubble stone roughcast, additions brick with stone,
stone dressings, part rendered with incised masonry lines, old plain tile roofs.
Plan of C13 chancel, C19 south vestry and north gabled addition for family pew;
nave has similar north-east addition for schoolroom against north porch, on
south large, long, gabled transeptual addition of c1800, and to west 1774 tower.
East end of nave has early C19 Gothic double lancet east window. South vestry.
North gabled projection with off-centre timber pointed window. Nave has to north-
east gabled larger projection with C18 domestic 3-light segmental-head window,
outshot on west side down to north porch. Gable has heavy frame to rounded
doorway, over is carved 'REWSCW 1683'. Inside c1200 Transitional north door
of 2 continuous orders and label on abaci. To west is staircase to schoolroom.
Beside porch is high-set 2-light window. On roof to east gabled dormer and
similar higher-up to west. On south, large transeptual room has 3-light windows
and lower roof. To west nave has squareheaded 3-light trefoiled window, and
2-light window over. Skylight on roof. Square-plan tower has north door under
semicircular fanlight with stone key and string at springing that runs right round.
In 2nd stage roundheaded openings on each face with stone keys. On each face
at top semicircular louvred opening. Cornice and low parapet, on top
fleche with weathervane. Inside chancel has C18 panelling and prayer boards to
east. To north, panelling in front of family pew and remains of lancet.
Barrel-vaulted roof. Early C13 2-chamfered order chancel arch on 3 engaged
shafts, rebuilt. Under 3 steps down, beside remains of C15 screen. Nave has in
south east 3-decker pulpit under hexagonal canopy, part C17. To north high set
archway into schoolroom. To south wall cut away, with only central cast-iron
post to lintel on walls, monuments to Comptons. To west early C18 panelled gallery
and above it early C19 upper gallery. On front bequest boards of 1667 and 1814.
Behind remains of C13 tower arch ( 3 bells dated 1604). Below pulpit is c1200
Purbeck font of square bowl with tapering sides. On sides carvings of Christ,
opposite Agnus Dei, on other sides eagles and lions. Most pews are C17 with
moulded top-rails. Good example of church not restored by Victorians with
pre-tracterian layout. VCH; Vol IV; 1911; p638.
Listing NGR: SU2593709486
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings