This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7924 / 50°47'32"N
Longitude: -1.5422 / 1°32'31"W
OS Eastings: 432364
OS Northings: 99307
OS Grid: SZ323993
Mapcode National: GBR 77Q.6XR
Mapcode Global: FRA 76NZ.WJP
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 8 October 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1094785
English Heritage Legacy ID: 144257
Location: Boldre, New Forest, Hampshire, SO41
District: New Forest
Civil Parish: Boldre
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Boldre St John
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SZ 39 NW BOLDRE CHURCH LANE
14/8 Church of St John
Parish church. Norman origins with c1200 south aisle, then north aisle, and
tower, late C13 lengthening of nave and aisle, C14 chancel, 1697 tower top
stage, restorations 1855 & 1918. Rubble stone, some coursed, some flint, part
rendered tower with upper stage of brick and stone dressings, old plain tile
roof. Plan of chancel C14 much restored with C13 south-west tower with 1697
upper half, nave Norman with c1300 south aisle and early C13 north aisle, more
like a chapel, nave and south aisle extended mid C13, also possibly south porch,
on north C19 & C20 vestry. Chancel has C19 Decorated 3-light east window, C20
squareheaded 3-light window to south, C19 2-light window to north. Tower has
rubble plinth and C14 recessed Decorated 2-light windows, string between stages,
and to south side of upper stage 2 tablets dated 1697, also near top 2 lead
shutes on curly iron brackets, on each face rectangular louvred opening, topped
by cornice and crenellation to parapet. Outshot south aisle has to east 2 C19
Decorated 3-light window with head in gabled dormer. Approx. central gabled
porch with pointed continuously moulded door and trefoiled lancet and gable wall.
To west similar C19 window. North aisle, wide under separate roof, has C19
Decorated 3-light east window and 3 north lancets with labels, and larger similar
west window above C19 & C20 vestry with squareheaded windows. At west end C19
Perpendicular 4-light window above late C13 door of 3 continuous chamfered orders,
undercut label and stops. Lancet on end of aisle. Inside chancel east window
has C13 rere arch. Early C20 stained-glass. 2-centred chamfered arch to tower.
Chancel arch pointed 2 chamfered orders dying to responds. C19 roof. Tablets
marble on slate: C18 to Richard Luther, 1790 to 1801 to Bromfield family.
Nave has south arcade starting as c1200 3 bays of chunk of wall piers, round
arches, all slightly chamfered, then late C13 octagonal piers and double chamfered
arches. To east chamfered arch to chapel under tower and remains of rood loft.
Tablets c1800 to Cleaveland family. C12 3-door on spurs. North arcade 3 triple
chamfered arches on round abaci on Purbeck piers. Monument: 1652 to John Kempe,
alabaster tablet with demi-figure in oval recess; black columns flanking, 1804
to William Gilpin, rector from 1777 and writer, by MW Johnson. West doorway with
chamfered angles. C17 floor slabs. Nave has C15 barrel vaulted roof. with
moulded timbers. C15 octagonal font. Font 1876 by RN Shaw, stone and octagonal.
Listing NGR: SZ3266799453
Other nearby listed buildings