This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8815 / 50°52'53"N
Longitude: -1.2043 / 1°12'15"W
OS Eastings: 456074
OS Northings: 109415
OS Grid: SU560094
Mapcode National: GBR 99N.NCC
Mapcode Global: FRA 86CR.W3V
Entry Name: Knowle Hospital, Former County Pauper Asylum
Listing Date: 1 September 1987
Last Amended: 6 March 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1095610
English Heritage Legacy ID: 146273
Location: Wickham, Winchester, Hampshire, PO17
Civil Parish: Wickham
Built-Up Area: Knowle
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Fareham St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SU 50 NE WICKHAM KNOWLE
1879/8/6 Knowle Hospital, former
County Pauper Asylum
Includes: Knowle Hospital Knowle. Hospital, former Hampshire County Pauper Asylum. 1850-52, with C20 alterations. Designed by J Harris. Red brick in Flemish Bond with hipped Welsh slate roofs. Brick plinth, brick lintels and stone cills. Classical style. Central administration block with side ward wings and recreational hall to rear. Central administration block, 3 storey 11 window fa?ade arranged 4:3:4 with recessed centre. Recessed centre has painted ashlar porch with coupled Doric columns and entablature, central double doors flanked by single pilasters, either side single sashes, above 3 sashes to each floor. Slightly projecting side blocks have 4 sashed to each floor. Central clock tower stands on square brick base with central clock face flanked by single pilasters supporting entablature and octagonal cupola above with arch to all 4 major faces. Topped with leaded dome and metal weather vane. Ward blocks to either side consist of long low 2 storey wings with glazing bar sashes linked to 3 storey end pavilions. To rear of wings projecting blocks, the inner ones with canted 2 storey bays windows. Each end pavilion has 5 sash windows to each face and pyramidal hipped roof with large central combined stacks. To rear of each pavilion a ward block each with cross plan ends with 2 storey canted bay windows. Recreational hall, to rear of central administrative block, has rear fa?ade with 3 tall round headed windows topped with ashlar pediment containing circular window. Roof has wooden octagonal cupola with ogee leaded dome and bell. Side fa?ades each have 4 tall round headed windows, and various C20 inserts.
Listing NGR: SP5664013536
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings