This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0699 / 51°4'11"N
Longitude: -1.183 / 1°10'58"W
OS Eastings: 457341
OS Northings: 130383
OS Grid: SU573303
Mapcode National: GBR 97C.V1Q
Mapcode Global: FRA 86D9.BXP
Entry Name: Tichborne House and Chapel of St Margaret
Listing Date: 5 December 1955
Last Amended: 19 December 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1095940
English Heritage Legacy ID: 145538
Location: Tichborne, Winchester, Hampshire, SO24
Civil Parish: Tichborne
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Tichborne St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
Tichborne House and St Margaret Chapel
(Formerly listed as Tichborne House)
Small country house and attached chapel. Circa 1803-5. On cut stone plinth colourwashed brick, with stone porch, chapel and service wing rendered, slate and tile roofs. 7 bay by 5 bay block of house, with chapel attached to rear at centre and passage on each floor on inner side of chapel to link house to service wing, attached to side of chapel, running parallel to house. Front 2 storeys on basement 7 bays with 2 bays at either end projecting slightly. To 3 central bays 4 columns Greek Doric portice with triglyph entablature on rusticated stone plinth, with steps either side. C19 6-panel double door with fanlight and panelled reveal. Either side a tall 18-pane sash. In outer 2 bays a similar sash in arched recess and 1st floor string course. 7 small 18-pane sashes with wide panes and rubbed brick arches with relieving arches over. Small brick cornice with blocking course and large stone coping with Soane-like urns at corners and stone cartouche of family crest in centre. Roof low pitched hipped. Interior of house early C19 largely remodelled. Chapel has 3 large round headed windows on exposed side with simple cornice and parapet above and hipped tiled roof behind. End has off centre castellated porch with round stair turret in corner beside it. Inside plain walls with coved cornice and geometrical pattern ribbed ceiling over altar. Altar rails C17 brought back from Italy in 1688. Altar table C17 but upper part of columns and pediment later replacement.
Listing NGR: SU5734130383
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings