This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7639 / 52°45'50"N
Longitude: -0.8854 / 0°53'7"W
OS Eastings: 475308
OS Northings: 319065
OS Grid: SK753190
Mapcode National: GBR BNW.QZB
Mapcode Global: WHFK0.CSMG
Plus Code: 9C4XQ477+HV
Entry Name: 9, Burton Street
Listing Date: 22 November 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096002
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489892
Location: Melton, Leicestershire, LE13
Electoral Ward/Division: Melton Craven
Built-Up Area: Melton Mowbray
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Melton Mowbray Team
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
890/0/10013 BURTON STREET
House, formerly vicarage, now offices. C16/early C17, remodelled c.1750, and with later C19 additions and C19 and C20 alterations. Red brick front with stone dressings and with rendered stone rubble rear and gault brick rear wings. Slate roof with stone-coped gables and with brick truncated end stacks and a further rear stack. T-plan originally, with rear wing; further rear wings added. 2 storeys, cellar and attic. Front to Burton Street is a 3-window range at first floor of canted 2-storey bays with C20 windows with C20 window between under stone lintel. 2 late C19 attic gables above with dormer between. Central 2- leaved door in C19 brick frontespiece. On left end a blank gable wall with casements on the rear wing. Right gable adjoins No.11 (q.v.). To rear are various doors and C19 and C20 windows including a 5-light stone-framed window to ground floor left.
INTERIOR. Front reception room to left has cornice moulding, chamfered bridging beam and reeded surrounds to doors, and room to right has shallow-arched alcoves either side the chimney-breast. Boxed beam. Stone flagged entrance passage leads to staircase hall with fine early C18 dogleg stair rising from ground floor to attic. This is set across the rear gable end and has ramped handrail, a closed string and moulded column-on-bobbin balusters. The attic rooms in the front range have C18 2- and 4-panel doors with HL hinges. Roof purlins visible. Small door of C17 panelling leads to roofspace stair. Roof to front range and central rear wing has heavy purlins and coupled rafters and may be a C18 re-use of an earlier roof.
This, the Vicarage of Melton Mowbray for at least 300 years to 1899, is mentioned in documents of 1609 and 1660 and was remodelled before 1760 by Rev.Thomas Middleton. The main range walls and part of the interior date from this period. The front bays and gables and rear wings date from later C19 remodellings, and from 1899 until the 1st World War, the Vicarage was let as a hunting box. It then became the Blakeney Institute. It is part of a very significant group of historic buildings in Burton Street including the Church of St. Mary (q.v.).
Other nearby listed buildings