History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chiswick Railway Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Hounslow, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4811 / 51°28'52"N

Longitude: -0.2679 / 0°16'4"W

OS Eastings: 520374

OS Northings: 177220

OS Grid: TQ203772

Mapcode National: GBR 8T.H3D

Mapcode Global: VHGR3.91QD

Entry Name: Chiswick Railway Station

Listing Date: 29 November 2002

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096022

English Heritage Legacy ID: 489912

Location: Hounslow, London, W4

County: London

District: Hounslow

Electoral Ward/Division: Chiswick Riverside

Built-Up Area: Hounslow

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Nicholas Chiswick

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Kew Bridge

Listing Text


787/0/10067 BURLINGTON LANE
29-NOV-02 Chiswick
(South side)
Chiswick Railway Station

II

Railway station. 1849. Designed by William Tite for the Windsor, Staines and South Western Railway. London stock brick, with rendered quoins and dressings. Welsh slate roof. Two storey main block on the upside with small single storey wings. Three windows with central 2-leaf door, with overlight, set in a brought forward Roman Doric entablature. Ground floor windows are 4 over 4 panes with stepped voussoir heads. Plat band at first floor level. First floor windows are 3 over 6 pane sashes. Low pitched hipped slate roof with brick end chimney stacks.
The elevation to the platform is the same except that the ground floor has a flat canopy supported on seven timber posts which projects beyond the building at either end. The posts support cast-iron brackets and a fretted valance.
INTERIOR not inspected.
HISTORY. The station was opened by the Windsor, Staines and South Western Railway as an extension of the Richmond Railway, and was soon taken over by the London and South Western Railway in 1850 having leased it from 1848. It was probably opened as a single track line but would soon have been doubled. This is an example of the Tite classical villa design first used at Micheldever and Winchester on the London and Southampton Railway in 1838 and afterwards on the Basingstoke and Salisbury Railway in 1854 as at Whitchurch and Andover.
REFERENCES. C Awdry, Encyclopaedia of British Railway Companies, Patrick Stephens Limited, 1990, p. 202.
Leslie James, A Chronology of Britain's Railways 1778-1855, Ian Allen, 1983, p. 55.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.