This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5316 / 51°31'53"N
Longitude: -0.0436 / 0°2'36"W
OS Eastings: 535801
OS Northings: 183221
OS Grid: TQ358832
Mapcode National: GBR J8.CNW
Mapcode Global: VHGQV.6RBR
Entry Name: Stop Lock Bridge at the Junction of Regents Canal and Hertford Union Canal
Listing Date: 3 December 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096025
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489915
Location: Tower Hamlets, London, E3
District: Tower Hamlets
Electoral Ward/Division: Bow West
Built-Up Area: Tower Hamlets
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St James the Less Bethnal Green
Church of England Diocese: London
788/0/10169 Stop Lock Bridge at the junction of Re
03-DEC-02 gents Canal and Hertford Union Canal
Bridge at the junction of the Regent's Canal and the Hertford Union Canal. 1830. Cast iron span comprising seven arched, moulded beams with latticed deck plates between. Two tie-rods run through the span, which rests on brick abutments. The three upper railings have been replaced and the adjoining walls show signs of reconstruction also: that to the north-west, however, retains its heavy granite coping.
HISTORY: this bridge was constructed at the junction of the Regent's Canal (opened 1820) and the Hertford Union Canal (opened 1830). It carried the tow path for the former along the southern side while the wider carriageway to the north served a commercial yard known as Victoria Wharf. The bridge is of interest for its cast iron construction, and for forming a significant feature at this Late Georgian canal junction.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings