This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9788 / 52°58'43"N
Longitude: -1.1252 / 1°7'30"W
OS Eastings: 458834
OS Northings: 342737
OS Grid: SK588427
Mapcode National: GBR LVD.KB
Mapcode Global: WHDGS.PDD8
Entry Name: The Chapel and Theatre at Mapperley Hospital
Listing Date: 8 January 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096039
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489931
Location: Nottingham, NG3
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Mapperley
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Jude
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
646-1/0/10038 PORCHESTER ROAD
The Chapel and Theatre at Mapperley Ho
Hospital chapel and theatre, now disused. 1887. Designed by G T Hine. Red brick with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Dentilated brick cornice, ashlar coped gables with kneelers. The south-west gable topped with an ashlar bellcote. 2 storey, with moulded ashlar plinth, tall brick buttresses with set-offs.
South-west front has two tall segment headed windows with 4-light ashlar transom and mullion windows, single similar 3-light window to the south-east and 5 similar windows to the north-west. Remainder of the ground floor has later additions. Upper floor has two tall 4-light pointed arched windows with rectilinear tracery and above a central circular wheel window with similar tracery. Central buttress topped with gabled niche. North-west side elevation has six 2-light pointed arched windows and south-east elevation has four similar windows.
INTERIOR. Theatre on ground floor has deeply coved plaster ceiling with moulded ribs and some decorative panels. Walls divided by tall plaster pilaster. Stage to north-east end has altered procenium arch. Chapel above has 5 broad timber single hammer-beam trusses supported on wooden wall columns at either side. Dado panelling and deeply moulded skirting board. Two segment arched doorways in flat headed surrounds. Ashlar chancel arch with moulded half-columns. Short narrow chancel has Minton tiled floor, boarded timber roof with ribs and timber organ case in side arch. Chancel also has tiled dado and reredos.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings