This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0012 / 53°0'4"N
Longitude: -1.9198 / 1°55'11"W
OS Eastings: 405477
OS Northings: 344877
OS Grid: SK054448
Mapcode National: GBR 37B.TP1
Mapcode Global: WHBCY.HT0L
Entry Name: Retaining Wall to Lime Kilns at Sk05474486
Listing Date: 27 February 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096063
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490029
Location: Oakamoor, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST10
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Oakamoor
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Oakamoor Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
1757/0/10006 Retaining wall to lime kilns at SK0547
Revetment wall to limekilns. C1806. Coursed and roughly dressed sandstone, with ashlar blocks to coping, archivolts and buttresses. Retaining wall approx. 20m long and 7m high, buttressed by 6 inclined sections on the principal W elevation and with a short return top the N. W elevation has two semi-circular arched stoke holes, set between pairs of inclined sections.
HISTORY: constructed in association with the Uttoxeter Canal, which ferried lime from nearby Cauldon Lowe to the Potteries. Lime burning here was terminated in 1860 by the owner Eli Bowers, who had commenced activities at Froghall in 1858.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings