This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6463 / 53°38'46"N
Longitude: -2.0969 / 2°5'48"W
OS Eastings: 393694
OS Northings: 416647
OS Grid: SD936166
Mapcode National: GBR FVS8.TM
Mapcode Global: WHB8R.RMP1
Entry Name: Drinking Fountain at Hare Hill Park
Listing Date: 3 February 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096138
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490104
Location: Rochdale, OL15
Electoral Ward/Division: Littleborough Lakeside
Built-Up Area: Littleborough
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Littleborough Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
335/0/10051 Drinking Fountain at Hare Hill Park
Drinking fountain. Dated 1902. The maker's name, 'RAWSON'S / BURY' on the plinth, south side. Local gritstone, pink and grey polished granite. Approximately 2 metres square at the base, and 3 metres high. In the style of a medieval shrine or preaching cross, in a composite gothic / classical style. Base of two steps, pink polished granite 2-stage plinth, polished grey granite bowls on west and east sides, square shaft with segmental-arched recesses, two sides with taps, the north and south sides having inscriptions. Square pyramidal 'roof' carved with tiles, triangular pediments [date on north pediment] and squat spire.
Inscription on the south face: 'THE THREE / GREAT FORCES FOR THE / IMPROVEMENT OF MANKIND ARE / RELIGION, TEMPERANCE AND / CO-OPERATION, AND AS A / COMMERCIAL FORCE SUPPORTED / AND SUSTAINED BY THE OTHER TWO / CO-OPERATION IS THE GRANDEST, / NOBLEST, AND THE MOST LIKELY TO / BE SUCCESSFUL IN THE REDEMPTION / OF THE INDUSTRIAL CLASSES. FROM / J.- MITCHELL'S INAUGURAL ADDRESS / CO-OPERATIVE CONGRESS ROCHDALE. 1892' Inscription on the north face: 'ERECTED / BY THE / LITTLEBOROUGH / CO-OPERATIVE SOCIETY / OF INDUSTRY LTD / IN COMMEMORATION OF / THE SOCIETY'S JUBILEE / NOVEMBER 7TH 1900'.
Brass rings for chained cups and the remains of brass taps survive on the east and west faces, above the bowls.
The fountain is now surrounded by a tarmac path with an iron drain cover on each side of the base. The south one of cast iron pierced with holes, the east and west gratings smaller, and a large manhole on the north side giving access to the underground structure.
The fountain forms part of the Hare Hills Park development following the lease of the Newall family home to Littleborough UDC in 1900.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings