This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.1172 / 50°7'1"N
Longitude: -5.5333 / 5°31'59"W
OS Eastings: 147509
OS Northings: 30102
OS Grid: SW475301
Mapcode National: GBR DXQC.N71
Mapcode Global: VH12Z.1BL0
Entry Name: The Abbey Warehouse
Listing Date: 6 March 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096156
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490121
Location: Penzance, Cornwall, TR18
Civil Parish: Penzance
Built-Up Area: Penzance
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Penzance St Mary the Virgin with St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Truro
866/0/10026 The Abbey Warehouse
Warehouse. Circa 1840 or earlier C19. Coursed granite with ashlar dressings. Flat roof made of large slate slabs.
PLAN: Long narrow rectangular plan, built on quay and into cliff at rear.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys. 1:2:2:3:2:2:1 bay north east front facing Abbey Basin with broad giant pilasters between bays rising from quay to cornice at second floor level; pairs of 2-light casements with continuous cills between the pilasters; narrower end bays have single casements; wider centre bay has casements flanking loading doors on ground and first floors with steps below recessed into quay; second floor with attic storey has seven widely-spaced small casements with cambered arches and parapet with plain stone coping.
INTERIOR: Floors supported on cast-iron posts. Stairs in centre bay. First and second floors at north west end removed. Flat roof of large slate slabs supported on iron girders.
A good example of a circa early-mid C19 quay side warehouse making an important contribution to Penzance harbour.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings