History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Netherseal Old Hall and Attached Outbuildings and Garden Walls

A Grade II* Listed Building in Netherseal, Derbyshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.7129 / 52°42'46"N

Longitude: -1.5722 / 1°34'19"W

OS Eastings: 428997

OS Northings: 312892

OS Grid: SK289128

Mapcode National: GBR 5FX.Z75

Mapcode Global: WHCGS.T2JJ

Entry Name: Netherseal Old Hall and Attached Outbuildings and Garden Walls

Listing Date: 2 September 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096414

English Heritage Legacy ID: 82957

Location: Netherseal, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE12

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Netherseal

Built-Up Area: Netherseal

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Netherseal St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Coton in the Elms

Listing Text

5/25 (North Side)
2.9.52 Netherseal Old Hall and
attached outbuildings
and garden walls

House and attached outbuildings and garden walls. 1642, early
C18 and 1751 with 1853, late C19 and 1908 additions and
alterations. Early C18 house is of ashlar with stone dressings
on chamfered stone plinth, plus plain tile roof with moulded
stone coped gables on plain kneelers, large external gable stack
with brick pots, and coved eaves cornice. Mid C18 part attached
to north is of red brick on blue brick plinth with brick and
stone dressings, and has plain tile roof, hipped to south end,
with large brick ridge and gable stacks, plus dentilled eaves
band. 1908 wing, attached to west of mid C18 wing, is of red
brick with blue brick headers, on blue brick plinth and has
stone dressings, also plain tile roof with moulded stone coped
gables, brick gable stacks and a stepped eaves band. Two
storeys plus attics with an irregular plan. Three bay early C18
part to south has a moulded, shouldered and chamfered doorcase
with moulded cornice and pulvinated frieze, topped by later
raised stone, inscribed 'E J 1751'. To north there is a square
sectioned mullion and transom cross window in raised moulded
surround with moulded sill and to south there are two similar
windows. Above the southern window is a stone inscribed 'I M M
1642'. Above, the first floor has three similar windows to
those below, and above again there is a hipped roof dormer with
2-light casement window. Attached to north, the mid C18 part
has a two storey canted bay addition of 1853 to southern end.
This has a moulded first floor stone band inscribed 'Every house
is builded by some man, but he that buildeth all things is God'
and a moulded stone cornice inscribed 'H H 1853', with brick
parapets over. The ground floor has 2-light ovolo moulded
mullion windows to angled walls and above there is a similar
3-light window to front wall with adjoining single lights on the
angled walls. Beyond to north the mid C18 house has a C19
recessed and chamfered stone cross window with coloured glass
roundels in the top lights and to north there is a segment
headed timber cross window. Above there is a similar window to
north and a C19 stone 2-light mullion window with pointed lights
to south. Two hipped roof dormers above. 1908 wing at right
angles to north has a four-centred arched doorcase with C18
panelled door to east and a 4-light mullion window to west.
Above the door is a single light window with dripmould and
moulded sill, and to west there is a 4-light oriel mullioned
window with adjoining single lights to either side. Early C18
part has similar garden elevation to its main elevation, except
there are also two recessed and chamfered 2-light mullion
basement windows and three hipped roof dormers. To north there
is an advanced ashlar two bay part with C19 windows to east
elevation, two adjoining plain sashes in moulded surround to
south and a 5-light mullioned and transomed canted bay window to
north, with a 3-light mullion window and a timber cross window
above. South elevation of this part has a plain sash in a
moulded early C18 surround to ground floor and a timber cross
window over. Attached to west of the 1908 wing are various
early C18 and early C19 brick outbuildings and attached to
either side of these are the early C18 red brick garden walls
with vitrified headers and chamfered stone copings. To north
end of northern wall is a small gabled early C18 garden pavilion
with diaper work to the back wall and to south corner of the
southern wall is an arched stone doorcase. Southern wall runs
for about 140 metres to east and has two sets of stone gate
piers with segmental coping stones, one dated 1868 and the other
dated 1908. Interior of the house has one complete early C18
panelled room with original fireplace, cornice and painting in
the overmantle, which depicts the present house and garden as it
was then. There are also several mid C18 panelled rooms,
including the drawing room which has inset wall cupboards with
mirrored backs and open scalloped shelves, and a re-set C17
splat baluster staircase. The other rooms were mostly
refashioned in early C20, the dining room has C19 linenfold
panelling from Drakelow Hall and the main staircase is a C17
style Edwardian staircase. Mid C18 open well staircase near
kitchen has been much altered. At the base is a re-set early
C18 panelled door which has an C18 painting on the back.

Listing NGR: SK2899712892

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.