This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8854 / 52°53'7"N
Longitude: -1.602 / 1°36'7"W
OS Eastings: 426878
OS Northings: 332064
OS Grid: SK268320
Mapcode National: GBR 5CY.3SP
Mapcode Global: WHCFT.CQDW
Entry Name: Sir John Port Almshouses
Listing Date: 2 September 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096567
English Heritage Legacy ID: 82600
Location: Etwall, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE65
District: South Derbyshire
Civil Parish: Etwall
Built-Up Area: Etwall
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Etwall St Helen
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 26/2732 PARISH OF ETWALL CHURCH HILL
6/13 (West Side)
Sir John Port
Almshouses. 1681 and c1690, with minor later repairs, built by
governors of the former Sir John Port almshouses. Red brick
with stone dressings, quoins, copings to plinth and first floor
stringcourse. Steeply pitched. plain tile roofs with ridgeback
copings and moulded kneelers, plus large brick rear wall stacks
with stone dressings, those to north range having a T-plan and
three diamond section brick pots linked at the top. Each
cottage is a single bay and is single storied plus an attic.
There are 16 cottages in all, 12 of which are built round three
sides of a courtyard and another four, joined on later to the
east at the southern end of the courtyard. To the centre of the
north range is pedimented archway through the building. The
arch has a semi-circular head with raised keystone and imposts,
moulded edges and is set in an ogee moulded flat headed recess.
Above is a moulded stringcourse and an inscribed marble plaque
in bolection moulded surround, 'Sir John Port, Knight, son to
Sir John Port one of the justices of the court of Kings Bench
haufing by his last will left an estate for the erection and
endowment of a free schole at Repton and a hospitall in this
place, departed this life June VI MDLVII. The which foundation
haveing been accordingly established. This hospitall through
length of time falling into decay was rebuilt, the sallarys
increased, the alms men augmented from VI to XII. The Right
Honourable Theophilus, late of Huntingdon, the Right Honourable
Philip, Earl of Chesterfield and S William Gerrard, Baronet.
Hiers generale to the founder being governors MDCLXXXI'. Above
again, three painted coat of arms set in cartouches within
moulded surrounds, each with mask to top, set within scrollwork.
Plain frieze and swan-neck scrolled open pediment with central
achievement above. To either side two cottages, each with
central chamfered, four-centered arched doorcase, flanked by
2-light recessed and chamfered mullion windows with diamond
leaded lights. Above, full dormer with ridgeback copings to
gable and central 2-light recessed and chamfered mullion with
dripmoul.d. To east and west, four similar cottages and attached
to east by a stone, four-centered arched doorcase, four more
similar cottages. Interiors very simple with winder staircases.
Listing NGR: SK2687832064
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings