This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.5186 / 50°31'6"N
Longitude: -3.6405 / 3°38'25"W
OS Eastings: 283794
OS Northings: 70040
OS Grid: SX837700
Mapcode National: GBR QQ.0LCY
Mapcode Global: FRA 378P.FJZ
Entry Name: Manor House
Listing Date: 23 August 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096699
English Heritage Legacy ID: 84287
Location: Ogwell, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12
Civil Parish: Ogwell
Built-Up Area: East Ogwell
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Ogwell St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 87 SW
EAST OGWELL VILLAGE
House, formerly mansion house of the Reynell family until they moved to West Ogwell
in 1589. It was in ruins by 1793 ( R Polwhele, History of Devonshire, 1793, Vol.2,
p133). C15 or early C16, the southern end rebuilt early C19; C19 and C20 single-
storey lean-to's on north side. Stone rubble with slate roofs. Main body of house
consists of 2 parts; 1) 3-storey L-shaped building to north, probably the 'parlour'
end of the original house. Main range runs north-south, having on its south gable
(concealed in roof-space of C19 range) the weatherings for the roof of a building
on same axis, now demolished. North gable has relieving arch of a former large
opening on ground storey. Above, rising through second and third storeys, a tall,
partly blocked window with a 2-centred arch; it now contains a C19 wood casement in
second storey and a C19 or C20 wood-framed window in third storey. East wall has
in centre a projecting chimney stack with set-offs. To left, in ground-storey,
relieving arch of a blocked window, cut into by C20 window. Above, a C19 wood
casement window. Corbel table under the eaves of roof. On west side, L-wing
projects to right. In ground storey of west gable a blocked doorway, now partly
below ground, chamfered and with a 2-centred arch. To right of it a small
rectangular window, its lower part blocked, with chamfered jambs. Above it 2
similar staircase windows, the upper one blocked. Small C20 inserted window to
right of second storey. To right of third storey a flat-headed two-light window
with cinquefoil ogee heads to lights. Corbel table under eaves to right-hand side.
In angle of the L a small rectangular turret, possibly a former wardrobe; small C20
window in north face on second storey. Above, corbel table under eaves, matched
(but not exactly) by a piece of corbel table adjacent on north-south range. 2) 2-
storey range to south, with roof hipped at south end. South front 2 windows wide
with C20 metal casements, except for C19 wood casement to right of second storey.
West front has chimney-stack to right with tapered top. To left, single-storey
gabled entrance porch with seat inside; beaded wood door-frame and plank door with
long strap-hinges. Above, segmental-headed window in second-storey containing C19
wood casement with small rectangular panes and quarter-lights. Interiors:
important early features may be concealed under plaster.
Listing NGR: SX83794700400
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings