This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.5186 / 50°31'7"N
Longitude: -3.6667 / 3°39'59"W
OS Eastings: 281940
OS Northings: 70088
OS Grid: SX819700
Mapcode National: GBR QM.MRNP
Mapcode Global: FRA 376P.HBC
Plus Code: 9C2RG89M+F8
Entry Name: The Convent
Listing Date: 23 August 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096703
English Heritage Legacy ID: 84297
Location: Ogwell, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12
Civil Parish: Ogwell
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Ogwell St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 87 SW OGWELL WEST OGWELL
2/20 The Convent
Convent, formerly mansion house. Built for Thomas Reynell in 1589. Considerably
altered in 1751-3 for Thomas Taylor and again in 1790s for Pierce-Joseph Taylor.
Remodelled early or mid C19 (possibly between 1832-6 for Thomas William Taylor).
Rendered stone, the south and east fronts blocked-out. Slate roofs. Complex plan
has 2 main parts: (1) U-shaped building of 2 storeys (possibly the 1589 house, now
service wing). Doorway in centre with window above. Wings 3 windows deep on west
and 4 (after C19 extension) on east, each wing 1 window wide. Windows have raised
surrounds and (except at front of west wing) barred sashes. Fronts finished with
raised band and parapet. In centre of roof a wooden bell-turret with shaped lead
roof. Rear and west walls retain 5 wood mullioned and transomed windows of late
C17 or early C18. Inside, chamfered ceiling-beams (in kitchen) and ovolo-moulded
panelled doors. Re-set on lean-to at rear a stone plaque inscribed 1588 TR; (2)
L-shaped building of 3 storeys (the main house) abutting the above on east.
Similar south front, 7 windows wide, the windows reducing in height with each
storey. A minority of sashes are C20 replacements. Inside, 3 ground-storey rooms
with early or mid C19 enriched cornices and margin-bands of C-scrolls, one room
with a large chandelier-boss of foliage. Stair turret in angle of the L has
geometric stair of stone to second storey with slender moulded iron balusters
(later replacements). Wooden treads to third storey with thin oblong-section iron
balusters. In first 2 storeys turret has late C18 round-arched doorways with
moulded imposts and archivolts, enriched with flowers and egg-and-dart. Second-
storey landing an adjacent lobby have friezes of festoons and foliage. In former
wing room (now sub-divided) a coloured marble chimney piece with pilasters and
plaque carrying oval disc. At north-west corner of wing a large round turret,
possibly an early feature.
Not included in listing: Bethany wing (1954 and 1961), Chapel (1955) and Nazareth
Sources: R Polwhele, History of Devonshire, 1793, Vol.2, p133; Burke, Landed
Gentry, 1838, Vol.4, p450; B Gibson, The Story of West Ogwell House, 1970
Listing NGR: SX8194070088
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings