History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rook Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Eye, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.3116 / 52°18'41"N

Longitude: 1.1267 / 1°7'36"E

OS Eastings: 613233

OS Northings: 272766

OS Grid: TM132727

Mapcode National: GBR TJR.3P4

Mapcode Global: VHL9M.H508

Entry Name: Rook Hall

Listing Date: 15 June 1951

Last Amended: 12 February 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096781

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468413

Location: Eye, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Eye

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Eye St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


585-1/3/151 (South side (off))
15/06/51 Rook Hall
(Formerly Listed as:
Rook Hall)


Farmhouse. Mid C16, and later alterations. North-south range
with early C17 east-west range added at south end. Rendered,
plastered and colourwashed timber frame on brick plinth.
Plaintiles to north wing, mixed red and black-glazed pantiles
to south block.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. North wing is 4-window range. Early C20
half-glazed door to right. 3-and 4-light late C20 casements.
Gabled roof with rebuilt ridge stack left of centre. North
gable-end lit through 3-and 4-light late C20 casements. South
front entered through late C20 half-glazed door to left.
Fenestration of late C20 casements: 2-light left of door, two
double 2-light casements right and a single 2-light casement
to extreme right. One 2-light and one 3-light first-floor
casements. Gabled roof. Ridge stack right of centre.
INTERIOR: south block with dairy at west end under low
ceiling. Centre with chamfered bridging beams and C17
fireplace under plain bressumer. C17 brick in east and west
walls of cellar. North range with early C19 stick-baluster
staircase. North room with two bridging beams: one of mid C16
with roll and hollow mouldings and run-out stops; other early
C17 with sunk-quadrant mouldings. Fireplace with cambered
bressumer also with roll and hollow mouldings, and a
brattished timber cornice. Frame of moderate scantling with
splayed principal posts and tie beams on solid braces. Tension
bracing to corners. Remains of shutter slides to former
mullioned windows. Both roofs with C17 principal rafters and
butt purlins, that to the north wing replacing C16 roof of
which queen-post mortices remain to tie beams.

Listing NGR: TM1323372766

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.