This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.608 / 52°36'28"N
Longitude: 1.7235 / 1°43'24"E
OS Eastings: 652197
OS Northings: 307643
OS Grid: TG521076
Mapcode National: GBR YQY.JJZ
Mapcode Global: WHNVZ.FQX1
Entry Name: 6-12, George Street
Listing Date: 27 June 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096832
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468470
Location: Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR30
District: Great Yarmouth
Town: Great Yarmouth
Electoral Ward/Division: Central and Northgate
Built-Up Area: Great Yarmouth
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Great Yarmouth
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG5207NW GEORGE STREET
839-1/12/36 (East side)
27/06/53 Nos.6-12 (Even)
Formerly known as: Nos.55, 56 AND 57 GEORGE STREET.
3 shops (Nos 8 & 10 combined). Early C17, altered early C20
and restored 1988-89 by Olley & Haward. Once carried datestone
indicating 1609. Knapped flint with rendered brick; brick and
flint to rear. Roof of black-glazed pantiles. T-shaped plan.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with a C20 dormer attic over No.6.
5-window range. The shop fronts are of plate glass, that to
No.6 with a double display window and a central entrance, the
whole set between a pair of fluted Roman Doric columns. Nos
8-12 have plate-glass display windows and entrances set
between pairs of Roman Doric columns, with a blind entrance in
the centre. The first floor has three 6/6 sashes, of which the
centre one has no horns. Right and left is a C19 canted bay
window fitted with horned sashes without glazing bars. Timber
modillion eaves cornice between moulded brick kneelers. Gabled
roof. South gable with a parapet built-up to accommodate C20
sloping dormers. Internal gable-end stack. 3 late C20 Velux
roof lights to remainder of roof. Left of centre is the apex
of the rear cross-wing. East wall of the main block entirely
rebuilt 1988. The rear wing terminates to east with a round
early C16 brick archway and part of a second which once
belonged to the Carmelite Friary which stood on the site and
was dissolved in 1538.
INTERIOR: mainly plain and much altered during C20. Roof of
front range of heavy early C17 upper crucks above which is a
mid C20 king-post roof. Rear wing with a C18 modified
Listing NGR: TG5219707643
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings