This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.4041 / 54°24'14"N
Longitude: -1.7423 / 1°44'32"W
OS Eastings: 416825
OS Northings: 500986
OS Grid: NZ168009
Mapcode National: GBR JK8J.L1
Mapcode Global: WHC6D.6KLM
Entry Name: Church of St Joseph and St Francis Xavier (Catholic)
Listing Date: 19 January 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096919
English Heritage Legacy ID: 439831
Location: Richmond, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL10
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Richmond
Built-Up Area: Richmond
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Richmond with Holy Trinity with Hudswell
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
NZ 1600 NE (north side)
681-/5/10002 CHURCH OF SS JOSEPH AND FRANCIS XAVIER
Roman Catholic Church. 1867-8, designed by George Goldie. Coursed
rubble with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Single nave and chancel
with curved apse aisles, western porch and south western tower.
Gothic Revival style. Chamfered plinth, flush ashlar quoins and cill
bands, raised coped gables with kneelers and finials. South, entrance
front, has projecting single storey lean-to porch with five pointed
arches, containing 3 traceried windows and single flanking doors.
Above 3 tall chamfered lancets, and a quatrefoil tracery circular
window above. To the right a 2 light pointed arch window. To the left
the tall slender tower with a square base rising to an octagonal bell
-stage with short octagonal stone spire with 4 lucarnes. The lower
stages have small stair lancets, and the bell-stage 4 narrow lancet
bell openings. Clerestory has 5 circular windows to each side with
chamfered quatrefoils. Aisles has pairs of chamfered lancets and
alternating buttresses, with projecting vestry to east with external
gable stack and circular stair turret with conical lead roof and
finial. Projecting boilerhouse to west has tall circular stack.
North apsidal end has three large, 3-light pointed arch windows with
cinquefoil and trefoil tracery. Interior. Nave has 4 bay east arcade
and 5 bay west arcade, with circular piers and responds with chamfered
bases and stiff-leaf capitals, and plain, slightly chamfered arches.
North west bay has panel tracery and dividing slender pier. Wooden
roofs supported on curved stone corbels. Fine ashlar and marble
curved reredos, and pulpit. Later wooden reredoses to aisles.
Original C19 pews survive in the nave. Some good quality late C19
stained glass. Wooden organ and gallery to south.
Listing NGR: NZ1682500986
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings