This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2782 / 51°16'41"N
Longitude: 1.0884 / 1°5'18"E
OS Eastings: 615495
OS Northings: 157755
OS Grid: TR154577
Mapcode National: GBR TY3.S04
Mapcode Global: VHLGM.T48H
Entry Name: Chapel of St Pancras Ruins remains of St Augustine's Abbey
Listing Date: 3 December 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096932
English Heritage Legacy ID: 439786
Location: Canterbury, Kent, CT1
Electoral Ward/Division: Barton
Built-Up Area: Canterbury
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
944 MONASTERY STREET
Remains of St Augustine's
Chapel of St Pancras (Ruins)
TR 1557 NW 5/152B
TR 1557 NE 6/152B 3.12.49.
The Abbey dates from 598 AD and was built for the monks who followed St Augustine
from Rome, 3 churches were originally built on the side, the Abbey Church
of St Peter and St Paul, the Church of St Mary and the Church of St Pancras.
Traces of the walls remain. They were built largely of Roman brick, 2 side
chapels were built for burial, the Chapel of St Gregory contained the early
archbishops, including St Augustine_and the chapel of St Martin containd the
remains of King Ethelbert, Queen Bertha and their chaplain Bishop Liudhard.
In 1049, Abbot Wulfric bridged the gap between the Abbey Church and the Church
of St Mary with a Rotunda.
Between 1070 and 1087, all the Saxon buildings were razed to the ground and
a new church built. The north wall of the Norman nave is the best preserved
part of the abbey, together with some column bases of the Crypt.
The Chapel of St Pancras the 3rd of the C6 churches was built of Roman brick
with Roman columns reused for the chancel arches, One wall of the west porch
stands nearly to its full height.
Both the remains of St Augustine's Abbey and the Chapel of St Pancras
are Scheduled AM.
Listing NGR: TR1547857821
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings