History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dunchideock House

A Grade II Listed Building in Dunchideock, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6789 / 50°40'44"N

Longitude: -3.5802 / 3°34'48"W

OS Eastings: 288449

OS Northings: 87778

OS Grid: SX884877

Mapcode National: GBR QS.2PS5

Mapcode Global: FRA 37D8.T74

Entry Name: Dunchideock House

Listing Date: 11 November 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1097063

English Heritage Legacy ID: 85423

Location: Dunchideock, Teignbridge, Devon, EX2

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Dunchideock

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Dunchideock St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Doddiscombsleigh

Listing Text

DUNCHIDEOCK
SX 88 NE

3/4 Dunchideock House
11.11.52
GV II


Large house. C17 or earlier origins, remodelled in the C18, extended in the circa
early C19 with internal alterations of circa 1905 including the incorporation of
features introduced from elsewhere. Brick and stone construction, the early core of
the house cob faced with brick and stone, colourwashed and rendered throughout; 2-
span hipped slate roof; axial stacks to left and right of centre, brick chimney
shafts at end.
The present plan is double depth, 4 rooms wide with 3 principal ground floor rooms to
the front and a kitchen at the right. The main entrance is at the left end leading
into a large 1905 stair and entrance hall to the rear of the left hand principal
room. Beyond the hall a spine corridor divides the centre prinipal rooms and a
kitchen from smaller rear service rooms. Complex development. The roof trusses and
remains of cob walling indicate that the centre of the house, between the axial
stacks, under the front roof span, was a single depth C17 or earlier house. The
right hand end of the building is different in construction and is probably a
rebuilding of the C18. The plan of the pre-C18 house has largely disappeared but a
ground floor room in the rear range has late C17 plasterwork and may have been a
parlour wing at right angles to the old cob single-depth house, forming an L plan
before the second roof span was added. The major remodelling of the C18 gave a
double depth plan with a spine corridor. The house is said to have been extended in
the early C19 by an additional 2-span block at the left end, the principal entrance
at the left end dates from this period. The large stair and entrance hall was
created in circa 1905 at the left end by removing the partition walls of small rear
service rooms.
2 storeys and attic. Regular 10-bay front, 5 bays in the centre slightly broken
forward, with deep coved eaves. Sash windows with glazing bars throughout, although
with some variations: the 2 right hand bays have more panes and are not aligned with
the others, 3 attic dormers. The left hand end of the house has a Tuscan porch with
granite columns flanked by a round-headed sash window to the left and a pair of
similar sashes to the right.
Interior: Over the centre of the house a jointed cruck truss, C17 or earlier, with
the collar mortised into the principals, and a closed truss with the collar lap
dovetailed into the principals. The principals over the right hand end of the house
appear to be straight but there are no thick walls in the roofspace between the
centre and right hand end of the house suggesting that the right hand end is a
rebuilding rather than addition. Over the left hand end the roof trusses are C19
kingpost and strut construction. On the ground floor to the rear a small room,
possibly originally a late C17 parlour, has a moulded cornice and plastered-over
cross beam. Numerous C18 and C19 plaster cornices throughout the house and C18 and
C19 joinery. Several C18 iron small pane casements to the rear. Features of
interest introduced from elsewhere include extensive panelling in the ground floor
room at the front, with a guilloche moulding and a date of either 1679 or 1659. The
same room has a granite chimney piece made up of granite pieces including a date of
1662.
An imposing exterior and interesting internal detail of several periods.


Listing NGR: SX8844987778

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.