This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6787 / 50°40'43"N
Longitude: -3.5769 / 3°34'36"W
OS Eastings: 288685
OS Northings: 87746
OS Grid: SX886877
Mapcode National: GBR QS.2QMW
Mapcode Global: FRA 37D8.VQQ
Entry Name: Dunideock Thatch
Listing Date: 12 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097065
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85425
Location: Dunchideock, Teignbridge, Devon, EX2
Civil Parish: Dunchideock
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Dunchideock St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 88 NE
3/6 Dunchideock Thatch
House. Circa early C17 origins, later alterations, extension of 1948. Whitewashed
and rendered; thatched roof, gabled at ends; projecting right end stack axial stack.
The present plan is single depth, 4 rooms wide. Later alterations have obscured the
original plan but the early part of the house is the right hand section, between the
stacks, which consists of two heated rooms, one on either side of a passage. The
right hand room is a C17 hall/kitchen or parlour, most of the early features of the
left hand room have disappeared but it may originally have been a small unheated
service room with the stack inserted at a later date. There have been two additions
at the left hand end: a small unheated room left of centre and a 1948 sitting room at
the extreme left. A small room has been inserted at the rear of the passage.
2 storeys. Asymmetrical 4-window front with regular fenestration; a change in the
plane of the front wall indicates the left hand end of the early part of the house.
Front door to passage to right of centre with a thatched porch with brecchia ashlar
walls and a C17 moulded doorframe, the lintel partly cut off. C20 fenestration,
probably in altered embrasures, of 1-, 2- and 3- light casements, 2 panes per light.
On the right end of the house a small square C17 timber window frame with a timber
Interior: The right hand room is a fairly complete early C17 parlour or hall/kitchen
with a rather altered plank and muntin screen with some chamfered muntins with step
stops. The open fireplace has brecchia ashlar jambs and a moulded timber lintel with
runout stops; the ceiling has a chamfered cross beam with bar stops and exposed
joists. An iron fireback dated 1649 has the initials "F A B". Part of a second
plank and muntin screen divides the small left hand room from the passage.
1 jointed cruck side-pegged roof truss over the right hand end is mortised at the
apex with a collar mortised into the principal rafters.
Good survival of early C17 features.
Listing NGR: SX8868587746
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings