This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.615 / 50°36'53"N
Longitude: -3.5915 / 3°35'29"W
OS Eastings: 287496
OS Northings: 80683
OS Grid: SX874806
Mapcode National: GBR QS.6LWS
Mapcode Global: FRA 37CF.W22
Entry Name: Filleigh House
Listing Date: 23 August 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097125
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85263
Location: Chudleigh, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Chudleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Chudleigh St Martin and St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 88 SE
1/28 Filleigh House
Large house. 1869 remodelling of an earlier C19 house for E. Baillie (datestone of
1869 with initials "E.B."), with later alterations. Whitewashed plastered stone;
slate roofs, hipped to front of main range; rendered stacks.
The present plan consists of a principal block, 2 rooms wide at the front, double
depth, with a side entrance (north east elevation) leading into an entrance hall with
a stair hall with an open well stair behind it in the centre of the range. The 2
principal rooms face the garden (south east).
A rear wing with a 2-span roof and lower roofline was probably the service wing. It
is evident that the house has been remodelled (presumably in 1869) and was originally
entered on the south east front with a central entrance leading into the stair hall
via a passage. The internal walls have been moved and the width of the passage has
been absorbed into the 2 present principal rooms.
2-storeys. Symmetrical 5-window garden (south east) elevation, with deep eaves with
paired eaves brackets a platband and left and right pilasters with sunk panels. A
blocked arch in the centre, ground floor, indicates the former entrance. C20 first
floor metal-framed windows with C19 sliding shutters below a moulded cornice, C20
ground floor windows, probably in original embrasures. A fine 5-bay wrought iron
trellis verandah extends the length of the front with inverted ogee arches and a
slightly projecting centre bay.
The south west elevation consists of the side of the service wing (3-bay) to the
left, and the 4-bay return of the main block to the right, which rises as a pediment
to the left of centre. Variety of sash windows; 2 ground floor canted bays with tent
roofs are probably early C20 additions. Bell turret in centre of roof.
The 3-bay entrance (north east) elevation, 2 storeys to left and right, 3-storey in
the centre has a coped, gabled central bay with a shallow Tuscan porch with paired
columns to left and right, pilasters and an entablature. 2-leaf, half-glazed
panelled front door with a rectangular fanlight.
12-pane sash window above the porch with a moulded eared architrave; second floor
segmental headed sash with a moulded architrave.
The right hand bay has 1 ground floor and 1 first floor 6-pane sash with moulded
Interior 1869 features include an open well stair with turned balusters, coeval
doors with black marble chimney-pieces.
One of a series of C19 villas on the Exeter Road outside Chudleigh Town.
Listing NGR: SX8749680683
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings